Memorial match held for teenage footballer Joshua Bwalya
- Credit: Archant
Barking FC hosted a special match in memory of a teenage footballer who was fatally stabbed in Barking.
The club’s under-17s took on their Clapton counterparts at Mayesbrook Park on Sunday afternoon to honour 16-year-old Joshua Bwalya.
Joshua, known to friends and teammates as ‘JB’, was attacked after a disturbance at a party in the Ripple Centre.
Police said he was ambushed by a group of balaclava-wearing youths on bicycles.
Joshua played for Clapton’s under-14 squad before transferring to Barking FC, where he joined the under-17s.
You may also want to watch:
“He will be remembered for his respect, determination and above all his brilliant sense of humour,” said a statement on the Barking FC’s website.
Statements on the official Clapton website called him “a promising young player” who “has sadly been taken too soon.”
- 1 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 2 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 3 Meet the singer drawing global audiences to her Barking living room
- 4 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 6 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 7 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 8 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 9 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
- 10 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall
All proceeds from the game were donated to the Just Giving fund set up for the talented footballer.
To donate, visit justgiving.com/crowdfunding/karen-hithersay-1