More than 150 injured in knife attacks in Barking and Dagenham so far this year, Met figures reveal
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Figures from the Met show that there have been more than 150 incidents where someone has been injured with a knife since January.
Figures from the Met Police show there has been more than 150 knife attacks in Barking and Dagenham this year, which is an increase of nearly 50 per cent from the same time last year.
The statistics are for incidents where a knife has been used to injure - these include incidents such as a stabbing in the street, a robbery where a knife is used to injure, or domestic GBH between partners in a house.
In Barking and Dagenham there have been 154 knife attacks between January 1 and the end of October this year, and in the same time last year there were 101 incidents.
Across the tri-borough (Havering, Redbridge and Barking and Dagenham) there have been 450 incidents, which is 174 more incidents than last year (276).
The highest figure of reported incidents in Barking and Dagenham was in June (26) and the lowest was in February (9).
February was when Hasan Ozcan was stabbed to death near a football pitch in Abbey Road, next to the Gascoigne Estate.
- 1 Thousands set to descend on Dagenham for music fest as licence approved
- 2 Wanted: Man sought after aggravated burglaries, failing to appear in court
- 3 Barking and Dagenham gets lowly ranking for 'healthy streets'
- 4 Serving Met officer suspended from duty after stalking charge
- 5 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 6 Jailed: Burglar who stole equipment worth more than £3k from car repair centre
- 7 Dagenham & Redbridge relishing first friendly says Rance
- 8 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 9 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
- 10 No injuries after car and van collide in Dagenham Heathway
Abdulrahman Nassor Juma, 23 was another man who died after her was stabbed in Crows Road, near Harts Lane in Barking back in May.
Dame Margaret Hodge, MP for Barking, said: “These new figures on rising knife crime are extremely troubling. We must take a proactive approach to combat violent crime and its causes.
“Together with the leader of Barking and Dagenham Council, I have called on the Mayor of London to support proposals for ‘A step change for a safer borough’.
“These proposals seek to address serious youth violence through a trauma informed model, which we believe represents the best way to tackle the underlying causes of serious youth violence, as well as the growing fear of violence in our community.
“I feel positive that the Mayor will get behind our plans.”