Neighbours pay tribute to murdered Dagenham man Gary Pocock
- Credit: Archant
Community stunned after battered body found on a beach on the Isle of Sheppey in Kent.
»Neighbours have paid tribute to a 34-year-old Dagenham man, whose body was discovered badly beaten and half-naked on a beach in Kent.
A post-mortem examination showed Gary Pocock, of Lillechurch Road, had sustained serious head injuries and police launched a murder investigation.
It is believed Mr Pocock had two children and a neighbour, who wished to remain anonymous, said the community was saddened by his death.
He said: “I heard the commotion outside on Friday. I couldn’t believe it. He was a quiet bloke – very friendly and smiley. He would always stop for a chat. Everyone is in a bit of a shock.”
You may also want to watch:
Another neighbour said: “He was a lovely chap – a harmless fella.”
Police were called to the beach on the Isle of Sheppey last week after a dog walker found the body, stripped from the waist down.
- 1 Road and rail round-up: Steer clear of these disruptions next week
- 2 Former council offices to be transformed into 'workspace and cultural hub'
- 3 Three places to go pumpkin picking near east London
- 4 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 5 East London's 10 prettiest streets to visit
- 6 Barking butcher 'thankful' for loyal customers through pandemic
- 7 Comedian: 'Outrage at protests is why they work'
- 8 Barking and Dagenham Council chief executive to depart
- 9 Dagenham seal empathic comeback to thrash Solihull Moors
- 10 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
Officers said he had suffered a “vicious attack”.
Early on Friday, police and forensics officers visited Mr Pocock’s house.
A man who lives in the same property, who gave his name only as Chris, said officers arrived at about 1am and he was told to leave the house for the day while they scoured the home for clues.
Later on that day, police announced the arrests of a man and a woman from London, aged 44 and 43 respectively, on suspicion of murder, but they were released without charge later that evening.
A 29-year-old man also from London, was arrested on Friday evening but was released without charge on Sunday night.
Police said that although Mr Pocock lived in Dagenham, he was known to spend a lot of time on the Isle of Sheppey.
Det Ch Insp Jon Clayden from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: “We have released a photo of Mr Pocock in the hope that it might jog memories, and that someone might have seen him in the days and hours leading up to his death and have information that can help us.”
n Anyone with information should contact police on 101 quoting CAT 070167 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.