Neighbours pay tribute to murdered Dagenham man Gary Pocock
- Credit: Archant
Community stunned after battered body found on a beach on the Isle of Sheppey in Kent.
»Neighbours have paid tribute to a 34-year-old Dagenham man, whose body was discovered badly beaten and half-naked on a beach in Kent.
A post-mortem examination showed Gary Pocock, of Lillechurch Road, had sustained serious head injuries and police launched a murder investigation.
It is believed Mr Pocock had two children and a neighbour, who wished to remain anonymous, said the community was saddened by his death.
He said: “I heard the commotion outside on Friday. I couldn’t believe it. He was a quiet bloke – very friendly and smiley. He would always stop for a chat. Everyone is in a bit of a shock.”
You may also want to watch:
Another neighbour said: “He was a lovely chap – a harmless fella.”
Police were called to the beach on the Isle of Sheppey last week after a dog walker found the body, stripped from the waist down.
- 1 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 2 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 3 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 4 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 5 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 6 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 7 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 8 Covid stats show cases rising across east London boroughs
- 9 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 10 Manager celebrates 25 years working for supermarket
Officers said he had suffered a “vicious attack”.
Early on Friday, police and forensics officers visited Mr Pocock’s house.
A man who lives in the same property, who gave his name only as Chris, said officers arrived at about 1am and he was told to leave the house for the day while they scoured the home for clues.
Later on that day, police announced the arrests of a man and a woman from London, aged 44 and 43 respectively, on suspicion of murder, but they were released without charge later that evening.
A 29-year-old man also from London, was arrested on Friday evening but was released without charge on Sunday night.
Police said that although Mr Pocock lived in Dagenham, he was known to spend a lot of time on the Isle of Sheppey.
Det Ch Insp Jon Clayden from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: “We have released a photo of Mr Pocock in the hope that it might jog memories, and that someone might have seen him in the days and hours leading up to his death and have information that can help us.”
n Anyone with information should contact police on 101 quoting CAT 070167 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.