Neighbours pay tribute to murdered Dagenham man Gary Pocock
- Credit: Archant
Community stunned after battered body found on a beach on the Isle of Sheppey in Kent.
»Neighbours have paid tribute to a 34-year-old Dagenham man, whose body was discovered badly beaten and half-naked on a beach in Kent.
A post-mortem examination showed Gary Pocock, of Lillechurch Road, had sustained serious head injuries and police launched a murder investigation.
It is believed Mr Pocock had two children and a neighbour, who wished to remain anonymous, said the community was saddened by his death.
He said: “I heard the commotion outside on Friday. I couldn’t believe it. He was a quiet bloke – very friendly and smiley. He would always stop for a chat. Everyone is in a bit of a shock.”
You may also want to watch:
Another neighbour said: “He was a lovely chap – a harmless fella.”
Police were called to the beach on the Isle of Sheppey last week after a dog walker found the body, stripped from the waist down.
- 1 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 2 Barking & Dagenham girls on cloud nine after big opening win
- 3 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall
- 4 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 5 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 6 Charity shops open, Covid rules, park toilets and child exploitation
- 7 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 8 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 9 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 10 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
Officers said he had suffered a “vicious attack”.
Early on Friday, police and forensics officers visited Mr Pocock’s house.
A man who lives in the same property, who gave his name only as Chris, said officers arrived at about 1am and he was told to leave the house for the day while they scoured the home for clues.
Later on that day, police announced the arrests of a man and a woman from London, aged 44 and 43 respectively, on suspicion of murder, but they were released without charge later that evening.
A 29-year-old man also from London, was arrested on Friday evening but was released without charge on Sunday night.
Police said that although Mr Pocock lived in Dagenham, he was known to spend a lot of time on the Isle of Sheppey.
Det Ch Insp Jon Clayden from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate, said: “We have released a photo of Mr Pocock in the hope that it might jog memories, and that someone might have seen him in the days and hours leading up to his death and have information that can help us.”
n Anyone with information should contact police on 101 quoting CAT 070167 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.