Neill Buchel murder: Hunt was ‘a bit of a bully’ says neighbour
- Credit: Archant
A former neighbour of Neill Buchel, who claims his head was smashed in with dumbbells by the men convicted of his murderers, has spoken of his relief to see them locked up.
Former minicab driver Dave Atkinson, 57, of Braintree Road, lived opposite Scott “Gary” Hunt and for a time shared his flat with Mr Buchel and his family.
Returning home on December 11 2013, he found Chas Quye and Mr Hunt – whom he described as “a bit of a bully” – drinking in his flat with the man they were both later accused of murdering.
“I was a bit upset about Neill letting them in, so I asked them to leave,” he told the Post.
“Gary just laughed and said ‘We’re going nowhere.’
“Later he picked up some dumbbells in each hand, and clashed them together against both sides of my face like cymbals.
“I’m glad they’ve been put away now, they fully deserve it.”
- 1 Illegal Dagenham puppy farm owners sentenced
- 2 Council tax rebates totalling £2m remain unclaimed, authority says
- 3 Dagenham fire families receive thousands in donated cash
- 4 London among areas where drought is declared
- 5 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 6 Liz Truss visits Dagenham youth centre on Tory leadership campaign trail
- 7 'An incredible privilege’: Dagenham and Rainham MP Jon Cruddas on 21 years of service
- 8 How to see the last supermoon of the year this weekend
- 9 ‘It’s like a warzone’: Extent of damage to Ballards Road homes on show following blaze which destroyed 14 houses
- 10 West Ham 'couldn't get near' City says Moyes
Dave, who worked with Mr Buchel’s wife Sharon, also witnessed the murder victim burning his chest hair and beard on fire with his two friends, for one of the group’s Jackass-style videos.
“It was quite scary,” he added. “His whole beard was on fire.
“I tried to get out as quickly as possible and attempted to stay clear of them after that, which was hard when they lived so close.”