Neill Buchel murder: Hunt was ‘a bit of a bully’ says neighbour
- Credit: Archant
A former neighbour of Neill Buchel, who claims his head was smashed in with dumbbells by the men convicted of his murderers, has spoken of his relief to see them locked up.
Former minicab driver Dave Atkinson, 57, of Braintree Road, lived opposite Scott “Gary” Hunt and for a time shared his flat with Mr Buchel and his family.
Returning home on December 11 2013, he found Chas Quye and Mr Hunt – whom he described as “a bit of a bully” – drinking in his flat with the man they were both later accused of murdering.
“I was a bit upset about Neill letting them in, so I asked them to leave,” he told the Post.
“Gary just laughed and said ‘We’re going nowhere.’
You may also want to watch:
“Later he picked up some dumbbells in each hand, and clashed them together against both sides of my face like cymbals.
“I’m glad they’ve been put away now, they fully deserve it.”
- 1 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 2 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 3 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 4 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 5 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
- 6 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 7 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
- 8 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 9 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 10 Dagenham charity set up in memory of 'unique' man offers help to youngsters
Dave, who worked with Mr Buchel’s wife Sharon, also witnessed the murder victim burning his chest hair and beard on fire with his two friends, for one of the group’s Jackass-style videos.
“It was quite scary,” he added. “His whole beard was on fire.
“I tried to get out as quickly as possible and attempted to stay clear of them after that, which was hard when they lived so close.”