Newham tops table for vehicle-related thefts in London, ONS figures show
- Credit: PA Images
Newham topped the table for vehicle-related thefts in London last year, new figures reveal.
More than 4,700 offences, mainly people stealing or stealing from a motor vehicle, were reported in the borough during the 12 months up until July, according to the Office for National Statistics.
Westminster (4,423 offences), Wandsworth (4,262), Haringey (3,874) and Redbridge (3,801) followed Newham as the capital’s hubs for vehicle offences.
The data, published on Thursday, lists a total of 32,589 crimes in the borough over the period – the fourth highest figure in London.
The ONS reported more than 427,000 vehicle offences across England and Wales over the period, up 17 per cent from the previous year.
You may also want to watch:
While the number of incidents had risen for the third year in a row, vehicle offences fell by 44pc over the last decade to just seven incidents per one million people.
- 1 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 2 Father's Day: Fond memories of Dagenham 'gent' with 'a heart of gold'
- 3 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 4 Ho-ho-ho! Bingo hall gets visit from Santa for 'Junemas'
- 5 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 6 Dog strips bark off trees in 'terrible act of vandalism' at park in Dagenham
- 7 Air ambulance scrambled after man 'taken ill' in Barking Park
- 8 Barking gurdwara 'thrills' after modern and traditional rebuild
- 9 Average house price in Barking and Dagenham falls from record high
- 10 Barking sex offender who pushed crotch into girl, 15, on Tube sentenced