Police issue picture of suspect after assault of Malaysian student in Queen’s Road, Barking
A suspected rioter accused of robbing a Malaysian student while pretending to help him will face a crown court trial.
Reece Donovan, 21, was charged with stealing a Nokia phone and a PSP games console from Ashraf Hasiq Rossli’s backpack while the student was still reeling with a broken jaw inflicted by another man.
In an earlier incident, the accountancy student had been punched in the face and had his bicycle stolen by a 100-strong mob in Queen’s Road, Barking.
Footage of hooded youths robbing the bleeding student on August 8 has become one of the most shocking images of the unrest, watched almost three million times on YouTube.
Donovan, of Cross Road, Chadwell Heath, did not enter a plea as he appeared before City of Westminster Magistrates’ Court today.
You may also want to watch:
District judge Howard Riddle remanded Donovan for committal to Wood Green Crown Court this Friday.
* Police have issued a picture of a hooded man wanted for questioning over the bike theft.
- 1 Is the Becontree estate in Barking and Dagenham really a Covid hotspot?
- 2 Hundreds of shops found not complying with Covid rules
- 3 Town hall backs Dagenham freeport bid
- 4 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 5 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 6 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 7 Man recalled to prison after persistent anti-social behaviour in Dagenham cul de sac
- 8 Town hall seeks powers to prevent 'unsightly' loft extensions
- 9 Organisers seek former Mayesbrook teachers to join school reunion
- 10 Dagenham rallies round to make memories for family of 'joyful, little' tot with cancer
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Barking and Dagenham Police video identification unit on 020 3276 1117 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.