Police issue picture of suspect after assault of Malaysian student in Queen’s Road, Barking
A suspected rioter accused of robbing a Malaysian student while pretending to help him will face a crown court trial.
Reece Donovan, 21, was charged with stealing a Nokia phone and a PSP games console from Ashraf Hasiq Rossli’s backpack while the student was still reeling with a broken jaw inflicted by another man.
In an earlier incident, the accountancy student had been punched in the face and had his bicycle stolen by a 100-strong mob in Queen’s Road, Barking.
Footage of hooded youths robbing the bleeding student on August 8 has become one of the most shocking images of the unrest, watched almost three million times on YouTube.
Donovan, of Cross Road, Chadwell Heath, did not enter a plea as he appeared before City of Westminster Magistrates’ Court today.
You may also want to watch:
District judge Howard Riddle remanded Donovan for committal to Wood Green Crown Court this Friday.
* Police have issued a picture of a hooded man wanted for questioning over the bike theft.
- 1 Barking and Dagenham pubs and bars reopen for outdoor service
- 2 Litter pickers mark opening of new community centre in Dagenham
- 3 Mayoral election 2021: how will candidates improve east London?
- 4 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 5 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 6 Archery prodigy recognised by county for record-breaking efforts
- 7 Barking boss Gardner wants to use Cup to embed new system and hand out opportunities
- 8 Daggers have some of best strikers in league says manager McMahon
- 9 Letter writing, Ramadan, Cats Protection, Islamophobia and Covid
- 10 Second World War bomb pulled from River Thames in Barking
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Barking and Dagenham Police video identification unit on 020 3276 1117 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.