Police issue picture of suspect after assault of Malaysian student in Queen’s Road, Barking
A suspected rioter accused of robbing a Malaysian student while pretending to help him will face a crown court trial.
Reece Donovan, 21, was charged with stealing a Nokia phone and a PSP games console from Ashraf Hasiq Rossli’s backpack while the student was still reeling with a broken jaw inflicted by another man.
In an earlier incident, the accountancy student had been punched in the face and had his bicycle stolen by a 100-strong mob in Queen’s Road, Barking.
Footage of hooded youths robbing the bleeding student on August 8 has become one of the most shocking images of the unrest, watched almost three million times on YouTube.
Donovan, of Cross Road, Chadwell Heath, did not enter a plea as he appeared before City of Westminster Magistrates’ Court today.
You may also want to watch:
District judge Howard Riddle remanded Donovan for committal to Wood Green Crown Court this Friday.
* Police have issued a picture of a hooded man wanted for questioning over the bike theft.
- 1 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 2 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 3 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 4 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 Tossed cigarette costs Dagenham man more than £600
- 6 Man who controlled Ipswich drug line jailed for five years
- 7 Barking and Dagenham rallies to give friends a prom night to remember
- 8 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 9 Dagenham MP seeks views on CPZs after 'hundreds raise concerns'
- 10 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Barking and Dagenham Police video identification unit on 020 3276 1117 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.