Police launch campaign to combat burglary in Barking and Dagenham
- Credit: Archant
With the nights drawing in, police are asking residents to lock up and light up to help tackle the traditional increase in burglaries at this time of year.
About one third of residential burglaries across the capital show no signs of forced entry and Barking and Dagenham borough commander Chief Supt Sultan Taylor is urging people to take simple steps to prevent their homes from becoming a target.
Advice includes locking doors and windows, keeping valuables out of sight and using timer switches linked to lights or radios when out of the house.
As part of Operation Bumblebee, specialist manhunt teams will also be deployed to track down the most-evasive burglary suspects, while high-visibility patrols will take place in known burglary hot-spots.
Chief Supt Taylor said: “Burglary is a crime that has a huge emotional and long-lasting impact on the victim and it can be extremely difficult for them to come to terms with the fact that a burglar has been inside their home - somewhere that is supposed to be a place of safety.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m urging residents to assist us by thinking about home security and making sure they’re not leaving themselves vulnerable to burglars.
“It really is as simple as locking doors and windows, using lights on timer switches in the hours of darkness and not advertising the fact that you’ve got new, expensive gadgets in your home by leaving them on view near windows or leaving packaging and boxes outside your house.”
- 1 Jailed: Dagenham man who took part in racist robbery which left man needing facial reconstruction
- 2 Wates Residential wins contract to build 400 homes in Barking
- 3 Community group founder calls for mandatory ethnic pay gap reporting
- 4 Have your say on the future of the Barking and Dagenham Post
- 5 Man fined £700 after throwing away cigarette outside Barking station
- 6 Barking mum: 'Wood falling from truck could have killed me or my kids'
- 7 Meeting ex-banker London mayoral candidate Brian Rose
- 8 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 9 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 10 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
For more information visit metbumblebee.org.