Police ‘must do more to find thieves’, say Dagenham salon owners
- Credit: Archant
Owners of a salon say police are not doing enough to track down criminals targeting their business.
Christine and Eric Ashley, owners of Christine Ashley Hair and Beauty Centre, in Broad Street, Dagenham say there have been two burglaries and a mobile phone theft at the shop over the past five years, which they do not feel were properly investigated.
The most recent incident – the phone theft – happened earlier this month.
“I was in the back room at around 9am,” said Christine. “The salon hadn’t opened but the door wasn’t locked and someone walked in and took my phone, which was brand new.”
There is a parking enforcement camera outside the salon, and Christine hoped the thief would have been caught on film. But she claims she was told by officers that they weren’t going to check the footage.
You may also want to watch:
Christine was also told to expect a visit from a safer neighbourhood police officer within 24 hours, but she says no-one turned up.
When queried by the Post, police said they will examine CCTV and send an officer to visit the premises.
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 2 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 3 Manager celebrates 25 years working for supermarket
- 4 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 6 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 7 Dagenham MP seeks views on CPZs after 'hundreds raise concerns'
- 8 Letter on teachers searching pupils for weapons
- 9 Comedian: 'Jeff's in space and I'm stuck in traffic at Gallows Corner'
- 10 Dagenham 88 Runners returned to parkrun action and tackled ELVIS race
“This isn’t the first time we’ve had a poor response from police,” Christine added. “We were burgled in 2008 and 2011. They said they’d look into it but then we never heard anything from them again. It’s very frustrating and disappointing.”
Barking and Dagenham Police said they were investigating the mobile phone theft.
Insp Paul Sloane of Barking and Dagenham Police added: “As part of this investigation any available CCTV will be examined to trace any potential suspects and the shop and surrounding premises will be visited by the local Neighbourhood Policing Team in an attempt to trace any witnesses and offer crime prevention advice.”