Police officer seriously hurt and three others injured in unrelated assaults
- Credit: Archant
Four police officers have been hurt, one seriously, in Barking and Dagenham today.
The borough’s police tweeted that the assaults took place in two unrelated incidents.
The account added: “That’s 4 officers injured, doing their job, in one short 8 hour shift, in one London borough. That’s 4 too many.”
The first incident took place in Becontree Avenue, Dagenham, where police were called to reports of a man armed with a knife in the street.
He threatened officers with the knife and was eventually disarmed when challenged by police officers with Tasers.
You may also want to watch:
He was arrested on suspicion of assaulting two members of the public before the police arrived, as well as possession of an offensive weapon and affray.
The man then assaulted the arresting officers, seriously injuring one after punching him in the face. He was then further arrested.
- 1 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 2 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 3 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 4 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 5 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 6 Covid stats show cases rising across east London boroughs
- 7 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 8 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 9 Ex-McDonald's crew member in final of national awards honouring those shaping business world
- 10 Manager celebrates 25 years working for supermarket
In the second incident, police were called to Upney Lane, Barking, to reports of a man with a weapon attacking people and damaging vehicles.
He then assaulted both the police officers who arrived to detain him and was arrested on suspicion of multiple offences.