Police officer seriously hurt and three others injured in unrelated assaults
- Credit: Archant
Four police officers have been hurt, one seriously, in Barking and Dagenham today.
The borough’s police tweeted that the assaults took place in two unrelated incidents.
The account added: “That’s 4 officers injured, doing their job, in one short 8 hour shift, in one London borough. That’s 4 too many.”
The first incident took place in Becontree Avenue, Dagenham, where police were called to reports of a man armed with a knife in the street.
He threatened officers with the knife and was eventually disarmed when challenged by police officers with Tasers.
You may also want to watch:
He was arrested on suspicion of assaulting two members of the public before the police arrived, as well as possession of an offensive weapon and affray.
The man then assaulted the arresting officers, seriously injuring one after punching him in the face. He was then further arrested.
- 1 Barking mum: 'Wood falling from truck could have killed me or my kids'
- 2 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 3 Barking & Dagenham girls on cloud nine after big opening win
- 4 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 5 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 6 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 7 Charity shops open, Covid rules, park toilets and child exploitation
- 8 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall
- 9 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 10 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham
In the second incident, police were called to Upney Lane, Barking, to reports of a man with a weapon attacking people and damaging vehicles.
He then assaulted both the police officers who arrived to detain him and was arrested on suspicion of multiple offences.