Police on patrol at Barking station after terror alert
ARMED police were being deployed at rail stations and airports today amid fears of a Mumbai-style terror plot.
Police were stepping up security at Barking Station, bus terminals, the Tube and major hubs after transport chiefs were said to have received a memo warning of a new terror alert.
The new threat came after the POST revealed the Mall shopping centre in Dagenham had spent thousands of pounds to counter a potential emergency before Christmas.
A Met police spokesman said today: “Recent events at East Midlands Airport and continued speculation about ‘Mumbai-style’ attacks serve as a stark reminder of the real and enduring threat we continue to face from terrorist groups.
“We will police accordingly and use a range of covert and overt tactics which remain under constant review.”
You may also want to watch:
Barking and Dagenham Supt Gary Buttercase added: “Policing of transport hubs will always be proportionate to the risk of a terrorist attack.”
Britain has been on “severe” alert for a year, meaning an attack by terror cells, including al Qaeda, was “highly likely”.
- 1 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 2 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 6 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 7 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 8 Daggers boss McMahon 'very pleased' with Southend United victory
- 9 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 10 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
The Mall in Dagenham last month put in place a �2,500 “major incident plan” including a hi-tech patrol log system while Vicarage Field shopping centre in Barking said it had received tips on security threats from the Met and expert consultants.