Police probe blaze at Barking social club
Fire investigators are today probing a suspected arson attack at a derelict social club.
The Scrattons Farms club in Morrison Road, Barking, was gutted in the blaze last night.
Barking Fire Station said firemen were called to put out a rubbish fire at the club earlier this week.
The Met police have been called in and Dagenham firefighter Chris Everett suspects foul play.
He said: “It was disused and boarded up. People must have got in and torched it.”
Around 20 firefighters from Barking and Dagenham and surrounding areas tackled the blaze between 10.20pm and 12.25am.
A London Fire Brigade spokesman said: “The cause of the fire is under investigation by the brigade and the Metropolitan police.”
- 1 Dagenham pub to host inaugural local Christmas fair
- 2 Barking Market extended to 'ease antisocial behaviour'
- 3 Tributes to former Hornchurch, Dagenham, Wealdstone and Hendon forward Marvin Morgan
- 4 Thousands watch Barking Christmas lights switch-on
- 5 Barking cash and carry boss jailed for five years for money laundering
- 6 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 7 'It's the right time': Dame Margaret Hodge on not seeking re-election
- 8 Weather warning issued ahead of expected gale force winds in London
- 9 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 10 Homophobia ruled out for jury in Stephen Port victims’ inquests