Police search for hit and run driver after Dagenham collision
- Credit: Archant
Police are searching for a driver who ran away from the scene of a crash after two cars “went at least a foot into the air” in Dagenham on Monday, according to a witness.
Police were called to the scene of a road traffic collision at Dagenham Road, next to Eastbrook Country Park at 1.49pm on Monday, June 16.
“The cars were smashed up and smoking and the smell of petrol was everywhere,” said Marc Fransener, 27, of St Giles Close, Dagenham.
“We thought they were going to go up in flames.
“My brother, Liam, helped the guy who caused the crash out of his car and put him in the recovery position.
You may also want to watch:
“He was completely unconscious at first and then woke up.
“He muttered something about being ok and then staggered away, then he ran.”
- 1 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 2 Barking & Dagenham girls on cloud nine after big opening win
- 3 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall
- 4 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 5 Call to change 'cash cow' yellow box junction in Marks Gate
- 6 Charity shops open, Covid rules, park toilets and child exploitation
- 7 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 8 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 9 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 10 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
A 70-year-old man was taken to an east London hospital having suffered a head injury.
The collision involved two vehicles. A silver Vauxhall Astra and a black Vauxhall Astra.
“I said we needed to get [the drivers and passengers] out because of the smoke, so another man helped me grab the man in the silver car. We got him out and put him in the recovery position. He was in shock.
“It was scary but I’m glad I was there and I could do something,” Marc added.
The driver of the black Vauxhall Astra made off from the scene of the crash, he is believed to have a head injury too.
Officers from traffic police are investigating. Enquiries continue.