Police search for hit and run driver after Dagenham collision
- Credit: Archant
Police are searching for a driver who ran away from the scene of a crash after two cars “went at least a foot into the air” in Dagenham on Monday, according to a witness.
Police were called to the scene of a road traffic collision at Dagenham Road, next to Eastbrook Country Park at 1.49pm on Monday, June 16.
“The cars were smashed up and smoking and the smell of petrol was everywhere,” said Marc Fransener, 27, of St Giles Close, Dagenham.
“We thought they were going to go up in flames.
“My brother, Liam, helped the guy who caused the crash out of his car and put him in the recovery position.
You may also want to watch:
“He was completely unconscious at first and then woke up.
“He muttered something about being ok and then staggered away, then he ran.”
- 1 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 2 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 3 Station Parade traffic curbs get green light
- 4 New Covid test site opening in Barking this weekend
- 5 Appeal to find witness who comforted woman hit by a car in Barking
- 6 Appeal after shots fired at house in Dagenham
- 7 More than half of people in Barking and Dagenham may have had Covid, data shows
- 8 Town hall to decide on bid for Dagenham freeport
- 9 Council admits there is a 'long way to go' before 'cracking' the virus
- 10 Drug and alcohol abuse by Barking and Dagenham parents and children soars
A 70-year-old man was taken to an east London hospital having suffered a head injury.
The collision involved two vehicles. A silver Vauxhall Astra and a black Vauxhall Astra.
“I said we needed to get [the drivers and passengers] out because of the smoke, so another man helped me grab the man in the silver car. We got him out and put him in the recovery position. He was in shock.
“It was scary but I’m glad I was there and I could do something,” Marc added.
The driver of the black Vauxhall Astra made off from the scene of the crash, he is believed to have a head injury too.
Officers from traffic police are investigating. Enquiries continue.