Record number of terror arrests in past year, figures show
- Credit: Archant
A record number of people have been arrested for terrorism-related offences, the Home Office has announced.
Official figures show that there were 379 arrests in the UK between July last year and June this year.
The numbers take into account the arrests - including several in east London - that took place following terrorist attacks in London and Manchester.
There were 21 arrests made in connection with June’s London Bridge terror attack, which saw Khuram Butt, 27, and Rachid Redouane, 30, both of Barking, and Youssef Zaghba, 22, believed to be of Ilford, kill eight people.
Many of these took place during raids in Barking, Ilford and East Ham in the days after the terror attack.
You may also want to watch:
Security Minister Ben Wallace said: “The figures show the tireless efforts of the police, Security Service and Crown Prosecution Service during what was an unprecedented period of terrorist activity in the UK.”
- 1 16-year-old boy stabbed in Dagenham
- 2 Dagenham MP Jon Cruddas in 'crisis' warning over local plan
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 5 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 6 East London police officer charged with rape
- 7 Stephen Port inquests: Dog walker recalls finding victims in churchyard
- 8 Primary pupils share Black History Month learning with mayor
- 9 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
- 10 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.