Record number of terror arrests in past year, figures show
- Credit: Archant
A record number of people have been arrested for terrorism-related offences, the Home Office has announced.
Official figures show that there were 379 arrests in the UK between July last year and June this year.
The numbers take into account the arrests - including several in east London - that took place following terrorist attacks in London and Manchester.
There were 21 arrests made in connection with June’s London Bridge terror attack, which saw Khuram Butt, 27, and Rachid Redouane, 30, both of Barking, and Youssef Zaghba, 22, believed to be of Ilford, kill eight people.
Many of these took place during raids in Barking, Ilford and East Ham in the days after the terror attack.
You may also want to watch:
Security Minister Ben Wallace said: “The figures show the tireless efforts of the police, Security Service and Crown Prosecution Service during what was an unprecedented period of terrorist activity in the UK.”
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 3 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 4 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 5 Watchdog upholds 90pc of complaints against council, figures show
- 6 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 7 Dagenham author pens novel to mark centenary of Becontree Estate
- 8 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 9 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 10 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds