Record number of terror arrests in past year, figures show
- Credit: Archant
A record number of people have been arrested for terrorism-related offences, the Home Office has announced.
Official figures show that there were 379 arrests in the UK between July last year and June this year.
The numbers take into account the arrests - including several in east London - that took place following terrorist attacks in London and Manchester.
There were 21 arrests made in connection with June’s London Bridge terror attack, which saw Khuram Butt, 27, and Rachid Redouane, 30, both of Barking, and Youssef Zaghba, 22, believed to be of Ilford, kill eight people.
Many of these took place during raids in Barking, Ilford and East Ham in the days after the terror attack.
You may also want to watch:
Security Minister Ben Wallace said: “The figures show the tireless efforts of the police, Security Service and Crown Prosecution Service during what was an unprecedented period of terrorist activity in the UK.”
- 1 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 2 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 3 Meet the singer drawing global audiences to her Barking living room
- 4 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 6 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 7 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 8 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 9 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
- 10 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall