Robberies increase in Barking and Dagenham
- Credit: Archant
The number of robberies in Barking and Dagenham has increased by almost 60per cent, according to the latest police recorded crime statistics.
Office for National Statistics data shows there were 928 reported robberies in the borough between July 2017 and March 2018.
These can include muggings, as well as more serious attacks such as hold ups with guns and knives.
That figure is up 58pc on 2016-17, when 589 incidents were recorded.
Gun and knife possession offences in Barking and Dagenham rose by one to 153 incidents and there have been six killings in the borough.
You may also want to watch:
The statistics are based on crimes recorded with the police, but some offences go unreported while others may be more numerous due to a change in the focus of the police or greater public attention.
However statisticians said there appears to be a genuine rise in robberies.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 5 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 8 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 9 Stephen Port inquests: Senior cop wishes he 'pushed further' for murder investigation
- 10 Paralympic gold medallist inspires Dagenham judo pupils
There was a 9pc increase in offences with knives or sharp objects, leading to the highest number of incidents since March 2011, when comparable records started.
Theft, one of the most high volume crimes, dropped by 6pc and drugs related offences went down by 5pc.
Criminal damage, which includes arson and vandalising cars and houses, has gone down in the borough from 1,752 incidents in 2016-17, to 1,580 in the latest figures.
While violence with injury, which includes assault, GBH and wounding, has risen but this could just be due to improved police recording as opposed to an increase in incidents.
Similarly sexual crime statistics are hard to judge as many more victims are now coming forward due to a series of high profile cases.
In Barking and Dagenham there were 521 incidents recorded between July 2017 and June 2018, a 16pc rise on the previous year, when 451 crimes were reported.
There were also 1,103 cases of stalking and harassment reported over the same period.
Overall, police recorded crime in Barking and Dagenham slightly increased between July 2017 and June 2018.