Robberies increase in Barking and Dagenham
- Credit: Archant
The number of robberies in Barking and Dagenham has increased by almost 60per cent, according to the latest police recorded crime statistics.
Office for National Statistics data shows there were 928 reported robberies in the borough between July 2017 and March 2018.
These can include muggings, as well as more serious attacks such as hold ups with guns and knives.
That figure is up 58pc on 2016-17, when 589 incidents were recorded.
Gun and knife possession offences in Barking and Dagenham rose by one to 153 incidents and there have been six killings in the borough.
The statistics are based on crimes recorded with the police, but some offences go unreported while others may be more numerous due to a change in the focus of the police or greater public attention.
However statisticians said there appears to be a genuine rise in robberies.
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
- 2 Council leader on the borough's future, CPZs and receiving death threats
- 3 Dagenham cat with misshapen eye struggles to find home
- 4 Baby boy died from 'whiplash' injuries caused by shaking, trial hears
- 5 Boy, 5, dies after 'unexplained' incident off Heathway
- 6 Dagenham woman to face trial on numerous robbery charges
- 7 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 8 'Staffing crisis' means children's hospice cannot offer end of life care
- 9 Man pleads not guilty to unlicensed street trading in Dagenham
- 10 Teenager charged with GBH after stabbing in Dagenham
There was a 9pc increase in offences with knives or sharp objects, leading to the highest number of incidents since March 2011, when comparable records started.
Theft, one of the most high volume crimes, dropped by 6pc and drugs related offences went down by 5pc.
Criminal damage, which includes arson and vandalising cars and houses, has gone down in the borough from 1,752 incidents in 2016-17, to 1,580 in the latest figures.
While violence with injury, which includes assault, GBH and wounding, has risen but this could just be due to improved police recording as opposed to an increase in incidents.
Similarly sexual crime statistics are hard to judge as many more victims are now coming forward due to a series of high profile cases.
In Barking and Dagenham there were 521 incidents recorded between July 2017 and June 2018, a 16pc rise on the previous year, when 451 crimes were reported.
There were also 1,103 cases of stalking and harassment reported over the same period.
Overall, police recorded crime in Barking and Dagenham slightly increased between July 2017 and June 2018.