Romford angler fined for illegally fishing in Dagenham
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Ima
An angler from Romford has been fined for illegally fishing in Dagenham.
Barkingside Magistrates’ court heard Billy Cox of Melksham Gardens, was caught using three rods and lines at White Hart Lakes but only had a licence that covered two.
He was found out after an Environment Agency enforcement officer challenged him on September 8 last year.
Cox failed to turn up at court last week so was fined £300 for fishing without the required number of rod licences in his absences.
He was also ordered to pay costs of £127 and a victim surcharge of £30.
You may also want to watch:
At the time he was caught fishing a licence permitted the use of up to two rods and lines.
Darren Wakenell, from the Environment Agency said: “The majority of anglers fish legally and purchase a fishing licence.
- 1 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 2 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 3 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 4 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 5 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 8 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 9 Former child refugee who founded Barking women's service up for award
- 10 Parkrun returns to east London: Where can you join in?
“We invest the money from fishing licences back into fisheries improvements, fish stocks and fishing, this is essential for the future of the sport.
“The minority of anglers that fail to buy a fishing licence are cheating their fellow anglers and the future of the sport.
“In addition, fishing licence cheats risk a criminal conviction, a significant fine and could lose their fishing equipment.”
Anglers over the age if 12 require a licence if they are fishing for salmon, trout, freshwater fish, smelt or eel in England.
The licence is free for anglers aged between 12 and 16 and can be obtained www.gov.uk/get-a-fishing-licence