Second defendant due in court over ‘riot’ attack on Malaysian student in Barking
A 17-year-old appeared in court charged with attacking a Malaysian student during the London riots.
The youth is accused of assaulting Ashraf Hasiq Rossli, 20, who suffered a broken jaw in Queen’s Road, Barking, on August 8.
Footage of hooded youths robbing the bleeding student has become one of the most shocking images of the unrest, watched more than five million times on YouTube.
Members of the public have donated thousands of pounds to a fund for him.
You may also want to watch:
The 17-year-old boy was before Thames Magistrates’ Court on Monday, charged with grievous bodily harm, robbery, two counts of burglary and two counts of violent disorder. He did not enter pleas.
Reece Donovan, 21, has already been charged with stealing a Nokia phone and a PSP games console from the student.
- 1 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 2 Flooding causes road and rail disruption across east London
- 3 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 4 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 5 Tossed cigarette costs Dagenham man more than £600
- 6 Man who controlled Ipswich drug line jailed for five years
- 7 Barking and Dagenham rallies to give friends a prom night to remember
- 8 Appeal after man allegedly 'spits at' woman travelling through Whitechapel, West Ham and Barking
- 9 Dagenham MP seeks views on CPZs after 'hundreds raise concerns'
- 10 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
Donovan, of Cross Road, Chadwell Heath, has been remanded to appear at Wood Green Crown Court on October 10.