Second defendant due in court over ‘riot’ attack on Malaysian student in Barking
A 17-year-old appeared in court charged with attacking a Malaysian student during the London riots.
The youth is accused of assaulting Ashraf Hasiq Rossli, 20, who suffered a broken jaw in Queen’s Road, Barking, on August 8.
Footage of hooded youths robbing the bleeding student has become one of the most shocking images of the unrest, watched more than five million times on YouTube.
Members of the public have donated thousands of pounds to a fund for him.
You may also want to watch:
The 17-year-old boy was before Thames Magistrates’ Court on Monday, charged with grievous bodily harm, robbery, two counts of burglary and two counts of violent disorder. He did not enter pleas.
Reece Donovan, 21, has already been charged with stealing a Nokia phone and a PSP games console from the student.
- 1 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 2 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 3 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 4 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 5 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 6 Stephen Port inquests: Senior cop wishes he 'pushed further' for murder investigation
- 7 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
- 8 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 9 Dagenham must continue to believe in themselves ahead of Southend clash
- 10 Revealed: The most popular baby names in your area in 2020
Donovan, of Cross Road, Chadwell Heath, has been remanded to appear at Wood Green Crown Court on October 10.