Seventh man on trial over Shammi Atwal death
An Ilford man is set to go on trial accused of the manslaughter of Barking cash and carry owner Shammi Atwal.
Ahmed Hatimi, 30, of Richmond Road, Ilford, denied manslaughter and conspiracy to rob when he appeared at the Old Bailey on Thursday.
He was released on bail ahead of his trial, which is due to begin on April 27.
Mr Atwal, from Chigwell, was killed in October last year when a group of robbers entered his River Road store armed with sledgehammers and metal bars.
He gave chase but during a struggle was pushed under the wheels of a HGV.
You may also want to watch:
Six men were jailed for their involvement in Mr Atwal’s death following a trial at the Old Bailey earlier this ear.
The group were handed jail terms totalling more than 70 years by a judge at the Old Bailey in June after being found guilty of manslaughter and conspiracy to rob.
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 2 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 3 Manager celebrates 25 years working for supermarket
- 4 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 6 A look back at floods which have devastated east London since 2016
- 7 Dagenham MP seeks views on CPZs after 'hundreds raise concerns'
- 8 Comedian: 'Jeff's in space and I'm stuck in traffic at Gallows Corner'
- 9 Dagenham 88 Runners returned to parkrun action and tackled ELVIS race
- 10 The schools in Barking and Dagenham rated outstanding by Ofsted