Seventh man on trial over Shammi Atwal death
An Ilford man is set to go on trial accused of the manslaughter of Barking cash and carry owner Shammi Atwal.
Ahmed Hatimi, 30, of Richmond Road, Ilford, denied manslaughter and conspiracy to rob when he appeared at the Old Bailey on Thursday.
He was released on bail ahead of his trial, which is due to begin on April 27.
Mr Atwal, from Chigwell, was killed in October last year when a group of robbers entered his River Road store armed with sledgehammers and metal bars.
He gave chase but during a struggle was pushed under the wheels of a HGV.
You may also want to watch:
Six men were jailed for their involvement in Mr Atwal’s death following a trial at the Old Bailey earlier this ear.
The group were handed jail terms totalling more than 70 years by a judge at the Old Bailey in June after being found guilty of manslaughter and conspiracy to rob.
- 1 Wates Residential wins contract to build 400 homes in Barking
- 2 Jailed: Dagenham man who took part in racist robbery which left man needing facial reconstruction
- 3 Barking and Dagenham gets ready to mark St George's Day
- 4 Meeting ex-banker London mayoral candidate Brian Rose
- 5 Barking & Dagenham girls on cloud nine after big opening win
- 6 Man fined £700 after throwing away cigarette outside Barking station
- 7 Barking mum: 'Wood falling from truck could have killed me or my kids'
- 8 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 9 Dagenham boss McMahon keen to build on back-to-back wins
- 10 Have your say on the future of the Barking and Dagenham Post