Stephen Port inquest: Police 'should have engaged more' with LGBT community
Ryan Hooper, PA
- Credit: Met Police
Police investigating the deaths of two young, gay men should have engaged more with the LGBT community as they sought to piece together what happened, an inquest has heard.
Sean Wilson, who was deputy borough commander for Barking and Dagenham in summer 2014, apologised for the "substandard" investigation into the deaths of Gabriel Kovari and Daniel Whitworth in near-identical circumstances less than a month apart.
Mr Kovari and Mr Whitworth were victims of Barking serial killer Stephen Port, who left their bodies in a walled cemetery at St Margaret's Church a short distance from his flat.
Mr Wilson was also forced to retract comments he made that falsely implied both men were users of GHB – a drug which Port, in fact, used to murder them, as well as two other men.
Inquests into the four deaths are examining whether police could have stopped Port sooner by acting differently.
The inquest jury heard Mr Wilson arranged a meeting of key personnel on September 22, 2014, two days after Mr Whitworth’s body was found with a suicide note apparently claiming responsibility for Mr Kovari’s death the previous month.
The note had been written by Port to cover his tracks, the inquest heard on Friday (October 29).
While an adviser on rough sleeping was invited to attend, no member of the LGBT community was called for their perspective.
Mr Wilson said: "With hindsight, yes, we could have engaged them (the LGBT community) far more."
- 1 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
- 2 Savvy driver saves ducks who had strayed onto the A13
- 3 40 firefighters tackle Anchor Close blaze
- 4 Dagenham cat with misshapen eye struggles to find home
- 5 TfL Consultation opens on plans to extend ULEZ into greater London
- 6 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
- 7 Homes under the Planner: Applications submitted or approved recently
- 8 Thunderstorms to hit London this evening warns Met Office
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 Council leader on the borough's future, CPZs and receiving death threats
He then added that Mr Kovari and Mr Whitworth "engaged in" the use of GHB, which he said was not an LGBT-specific issue.
Beatrice Collier, counsel to the inquest, stated that drugs were only found in the tragic pair’s systems because they were given to them, illegally, by Port.
Mr Wilson replied "possibly", to which Ms Collier responded: "No, definitely."
Mr Wilson replied: “Then I need to retract that.
"Yes, we should have been far more proactive with the LGBT community and that is one of the lessons we need to learn from this tragedy."
The inquests previously heard evidence from friends of Anthony Walgate, Port’s first victim, that they believed police let “unconscious bias and assumptions” because of his sexuality and his work as an escort affect the quality of their investigation.
Mr Wilson, concluding his evidence today (November 3), said: “I would like to apologise to the families.
“The investigation on the borough at the time was substandard.
“I hope in the future that somehow there can be a reconsideration of the failings.
“We are in a far better place now, but please accept my apologies.”
Mr Walgate, 23, Mr Kovari, 22, Mr Whitworth, 21, and Jack Taylor, 25, were all found dead near Port’s flat between June 2014 and September 2015.
Port, 46, was handed a whole-life order at the Old Bailey in 2016 after being found guilty of the murders.
The inquests continue.