Teenager jailed for Ashraf Rossli attack during London riots in Barking

An 18-year-old boy who attacked a Malaysian student in Barking during the London riots has today been jailed for a total of seven years.

Beau Isagba’s attack on Ashraf Rossli, 20, which broke the latter’s jaw in two places, preceded a second crime by two other men posing as Good Samaritans in which items were taken from the victim’s rucksack.

That incident was filmed and put on YouTube, prompting widespread condemnation.

As well as the attack on Mr Rossli, Isagba was also sentenced for looting shops in Ilford Lane.

Judge Witold Pawlak, sitting at Wood Green Crown Court, said that 54 months of the total of 84 months he was imposing, to be served in a young offenders’ institution, were for the attack on Mr Rossli.

He told Isagba he could expect to be released after 42 months, with the remainder to be served on licence, adding: “This sentence will, I hope, make other like-minded people think before they behave in a similar way to you, and also reassure the public and visitors to our country that this sort of behaviour will not be tolerated.”

Mr Rossli, 20, had been in Britain for just a month when he was set upon as looting swept the country last August.

Most Read

The accountancy student had been cycling to help a scared female friend when his jaw was broken in two places as he was punched in the face.

Isagba was found guilty of grievous bodily harm and robbery following a trial last month.

He had admitted a charge of violent disorder and two counts of burglary, all committed the same day.

A betting shop and a food and wine store in Ilford Lane, Ilford, were targeted by the teenager.

Mr Rossli was cycling along a flyover in Barking when he and a friend, Sheikh Azher, were attacked on August 8.

The student did not see Isagba when he launched the assault, and after punching the victim, the teenager was seen riding off on the bike.

The incident, which was captured on camera, drew widespread publicity last year.

In the second crime against Mr Rossli, John Kafunda, 22, of Eastwood Road, Goodmayes was caught on camera lifting the injured student up and appearing to shepherd him from trouble.

However, within seconds he and Reece Donovan, 22, of Cross Road, Romford began rifling through Mr Rossli’s rucksack while his back was turned to them, and robbed him of a PSP games console and 10 games worth �500.

The men were unanimously convicted of robbery and violent disorder by a jury at the same court last Friday.