Two found guilty of bribery at Barking test centre
A DRIVING instructor and a test examiner who took �1,000 bribes to pass failed candidates at Barking test centre are facing jail today.
Salima Rashid, 49, took money from hapless learners including an ‘atrocious’ driver who had failed four times.
The instructor split the backhanders with a 47-year-old examiner, who cannot be named, who passed some candidates at the centre in Tanner Road without even taking to the road.
A second examiner at the centre, Nick Madigan, 38, also took the bribes and granted licences to learners who could have caused accidents and even death on the roads.
Rashid, of St George’s Avenue, Grays, was convicted by jurors following a three-week trial at Snaresbrook Crown Court.
You may also want to watch:
Madigan, of Kitkatts Road, Canvey Island, admitted conspiracy to commit bribery before the trial.
Two other instructors, Sofia Rasool, 40, of London Road, Barking and Jasvinder Rai, 36, of Clifford Road, Chafford Hundred, had also been accused of taking �1,000 bribes but were cleared on the judge’s direction due to a lack of evidence.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 5 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 8 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people
- 9 Stephen Port inquests: Senior cop wishes he 'pushed further' for murder investigation
- 10 Paralympic gold medallist inspires Dagenham judo pupils