Undercover police officers praised for 29 per cent drop in neighbourhood crime

Borough Commander Sean Wilson

Borough Commander Sean Wilson - Credit: Archant

Neighbourhood crime is down 29 per cent since 2011/12, despite residents at a housing forum complaining about police visibility.

The reduction, which beats targets set by the Mayor’s Office for Policing and Crime by 9pc, includes a 37pc decrease in robberies.

But Pat Harding, who lives in Park Drive, Dagenham, told the forum at Dagenham Civic Centre on Monday last week that elderly residents in the east of the borough feel neglected by the safer neighbourhood teams, which cost council tenants £26 a year.

“What are we paying for?” she said. “I’ve never seen any police on our estates.”

Heath Ward’s acting sergeant Nicholas Archer told the forum the unit’s success, which included reduced burglary by 36pc since 2011/12, was mainly due to covert operations and plain clothes patrols.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter