Unregistered Dagenham landlords ordered to pay more than £4k
- Credit: Archant
Two landlords who failed to register with the council have been ordered to pay £4,661.
Chucks Anyijiobi and Frank Ajuzie pleaded guilty to failing to sign up to the private landlord registry scheme when they appeared at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court on Friday last week.
Anyijiobi, of Royal Parade, Church Street, Dagenham, was fined £1,000 for not licensing his property and £250 for not complying with improvements.
He was also told to pay costs of £840 and a victim surcharge of £100.
Ajuzie, of Asplins Road, Tottenham, was fined £1,000 for failing to register with the scheme and £500 for failing to comply with improvements. He was also told to pay costs of £861.80, a victim surcharge of £100 and a court charge of £150.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Laila Butt, cabinet member for crime and enforcement, said: “Landlords have a responsibility to check with local authorities to see if they have a licensing scheme.
“Our boroughwide scheme is there to protect tenants and responsible landlords. It’s about setting standards.”
- 1 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 2 Woman organises do after Covid-19 restrictions force school in Dagenham to cancel prom
- 3 Watch out for these disruptions to your journey by road and rail this week
- 4 Ambulance stations to close and be replaced by single centre, LAS reveals
- 5 Father's Day: Fond memories of Dagenham 'gent' with 'a heart of gold'
- 6 Man wanted in criminal damage investigation
- 7 Dagenham & Redbridge interested in former Leyton Orient full-back Sam Ling
- 8 Man found stabbed in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Dagenham man banned from keeping animals after starved pony found collapsed
- 10 Barking add forward Georgie Fairhead as assistant Adam Flemming departs
The council’s landlord registry scheme is one of just two in the country.
In July, Emmanuel Akilla, of Finsbury Park, was the first landlord to be prosecuted for failing to sign up.
If you suspect that your landlord has not been registered call 020 8724 8898.