Update: Police hunt man, 20, who escaped after Dagenham swoop arrested two
- Credit: Archant
Police are hunting a man who evaded them following a sting operation.
Armed police swooped on an address in Oldchurch Gardens, near to Dagenham Road, Dagenham, at around 6pm, last Wednesday believing Jake Baker — who is wanted by Essex Police in connection with an armed robbery — to be there.
Two men were arrested after police descended, but 20-year-old Baker evaded officers and is still at large.
Nearby residents were told to stay in their homes during the operation, which included assistance from borough police and the Met helicopter and reportedly lasted for about two hours.
You may also want to watch:
Father-of-two Suki Jhita, 42, of Rush Green Road, returned from shopping to be told he could not return home. He said: “I couldn’t get back to my house so I called my wife and told her to lock all the doors and just stay undercover. Lots of people were stuck and ended up in the pub.”
Witnesses reported seeing a large number of marked police cars, some of which formed a road block in nearby Rush Green Road and Lincoln Avenue, they claimed.
- 1 Man recalled to prison after persistent anti-social behaviour in Dagenham cul de sac
- 2 Dagenham rallies round to make memories for family of 'joyful, little' tot with cancer
- 3 Organisers seek former Mayesbrook teachers to join school reunion
- 4 Second blaze breaks out at White Horse pub in Chadwell Heath
- 5 Free parking for NHS staff and key workers extended
- 6 Sunflower Suite at Queen's Hospital chosen for this year's Christine Willett Trust donation
- 7 Dagenham primary scoops second mental health award
- 8 Dagenham crash to defeat at home to Stockport
- 9 Appeal after shots fired at house in Dagenham
- 10 More than half of people in Barking and Dagenham may have had Covid, data shows
An onlooker, who wished to remain anonymous, said: “It was quite intense because they were obviously looking for someone.
“As I was walking past I saw someone who had cuffs on and had been arrested.”
He added: “It’s normally quite quiet down here.”
Police allege that Baker held up a Ladbroke’s betting shop in South Woodham Ferrers, Essex, with what appeared to be a black handgun on Sunday September 22.
He then threatened staff and made off with more than £3,000 in cash, but no-one was hurt, said Essex Police.
Members of the public should not approach Baker and are urged to call 999 or Essex Police on 101 if they have any information as to his whereabouts.
Enquiries are ongoing.