Man spotted dangling from crane in Barking town centre
- Credit: Archant
Shocked witnesses spotted a man dangling off a crane in Barking yesterday.
Hundreds of people spotted the man at the 360 Barking development at around 7.45pm.
A witness who did not want to be named said: “There were easily 300 people there who all saw the same thing – there were legs hanging off the crane kicking, then they just stopped and it was swinging slowy and weirdly up there.
“A helicopter was going around it and the crane was moved. The crane was turned off, then later everything came on as if people went up there.
“When I came home the crane had been lit up and moved, but whatever was there isn’t now.”
Police who were called to the scene spoke to the man who said he was an ‘urban explorer’ who explores man-made structures like skycrapers or sewers.
A spokesman from the Met Police said: “He claimed he was an urban explorer, items on his person would suggest this is the case.
- 1 ‘It is not tolerated’: CCTV images released after West Ham game disorder
- 2 Historic fleet of vehicles moving from Dagenham, Ford confirms
- 3 Car park murder: Victim's wife tells trial about the last text he sent her
- 4 Revealed: Cause of Dagenham house fire
- 5 Ex-soldier launches business to help veterans 'regain their identity'
- 6 Book examines police failings in Stephen Port investigation
- 7 Man run over four times embroiled in row over £40,000, murder trial told
- 8 Five arrested for drugs offences after dawn raids
- 9 Bow man charged with three offences after Dagenham stabbing
- 10 Quickfire double sends Dagenham & Redbridge past Southend United
“He climbed down and was detained and is coming into a police station for an interview.”
Do you know who this urban explorer is? Contact the newsteam on 020 8433 3789 or email email@example.com.