Man spotted dangling from crane in Barking town centre
- Credit: Archant
Shocked witnesses spotted a man dangling off a crane in Barking yesterday.
Hundreds of people spotted the man at the 360 Barking development at around 7.45pm.
A witness who did not want to be named said: “There were easily 300 people there who all saw the same thing – there were legs hanging off the crane kicking, then they just stopped and it was swinging slowy and weirdly up there.
“A helicopter was going around it and the crane was moved. The crane was turned off, then later everything came on as if people went up there.
“When I came home the crane had been lit up and moved, but whatever was there isn’t now.”
Police who were called to the scene spoke to the man who said he was an ‘urban explorer’ who explores man-made structures like skycrapers or sewers.
A spokesman from the Met Police said: “He claimed he was an urban explorer, items on his person would suggest this is the case.
- 1 Thousands set to descend on Dagenham for music fest as licence approved
- 2 Wanted: Man sought after aggravated burglaries, failing to appear in court
- 3 Barking and Dagenham gets lowly ranking for 'healthy streets'
- 4 Serving Met officer suspended from duty after stalking charge
- 5 Jailed: 8 east London offenders put behind bars in June
- 6 Jailed: Burglar who stole equipment worth more than £3k from car repair centre
- 7 Dagenham & Redbridge relishing first friendly says Rance
- 8 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 9 No injuries after car and van collide in Dagenham Heathway
- 10 Two 'child abduction' arrests after three-year-old girl reported missing
“He climbed down and was detained and is coming into a police station for an interview.”
Do you know who this urban explorer is? Contact the newsteam on 020 8433 3789 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.