Man spotted dangling from crane in Barking town centre
- Credit: Archant
Shocked witnesses spotted a man dangling off a crane in Barking yesterday.
Hundreds of people spotted the man at the 360 Barking development at around 7.45pm.
A witness who did not want to be named said: “There were easily 300 people there who all saw the same thing – there were legs hanging off the crane kicking, then they just stopped and it was swinging slowy and weirdly up there.
“A helicopter was going around it and the crane was moved. The crane was turned off, then later everything came on as if people went up there.
“When I came home the crane had been lit up and moved, but whatever was there isn’t now.”
You may also want to watch:
Police who were called to the scene spoke to the man who said he was an ‘urban explorer’ who explores man-made structures like skycrapers or sewers.
A spokesman from the Met Police said: “He claimed he was an urban explorer, items on his person would suggest this is the case.
- 1 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 2 Three arrests after cannabis raids in Dagenham and South Woodford
- 3 Barking and Dagenham pays tribute to Prince Philip
- 4 Pictures: Remembering Prince Philip's visits to east London
- 5 Rainbow lights 'signal hope' as part of Barking and Dagenham festival
- 6 Second World War bomb pulled from River Thames in Barking
- 7 Jailed: Burglar who drove on wrong side of road trying to flee police
- 8 Council reveals new debt collection service to cut need for enforcement
- 9 Barking MP receives 'disgusting' Holocaust email over Covid-19 vaccine passports
- 10 Pedestrian crossing improvements after campaign by Dagenham pupils
“He climbed down and was detained and is coming into a police station for an interview.”
Do you know who this urban explorer is? Contact the newsteam on 020 8433 3789 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.