Vehicles seized in Barking as part of crackdown on uninsured drivers
- Credit: Archant
Five hundred vehicles were stopped and 19 seized as part of a police crack-down on uninsured drivers.
Operation Cubo, an ongoing MPS wide initiative targeting people driving without insurance, was held in Barking on Thursday.
As well as seizing 19 vehicles, officers arrested two people, one for driving while disqualified, while the other was wanted by police. A total of 48 penalty notices were also issued for a variety of offences, including not wearing a seatbelt and driving without tax.
Vehicles that are seized cannot be reclaimed by the owner unless they provide valid proof of insurance/driving licence.
The insurance cover must be for a period of 12 months or more. A charge must also be paid for the storage of the vehicle at the car pound which increases by the day.
You may also want to watch:
Supt Int Mike Hamer said: “Local public response to these operations is very positive and supportive. Uninsured drivers are more likely to be involved in criminal activity and collisions and around 80 per cent of those driving without insurance already have a criminal record. These vehicles are also less likely to be in a safe and roadworthy condition.
“Police do appreciate that at times our operations can inconvenience the public, but the positive outcome for road users and pedestrians in this case does justify the means.”
- 1 Second blaze breaks out at White Horse pub in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Letters: Covid rules, tenants' manifesto, Streetspace, help RAF veterans and support children's charity
- 3 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 4 Station Parade traffic curbs get green light
- 5 More than half of people in Barking and Dagenham may have had Covid, data shows
- 6 More than 100 attend first session of gangs awareness workshop run by detective
- 7 Appeal after shots fired at house in Dagenham
- 8 Have the Covid-19 vaccine when the NHS contacts you
- 9 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 10 Rapid Covid-19 test site for people without symptoms open in Dagenham