Video: Barking and Dagenham motorbike gang ambush 58-year-old in Ilford
- Credit: Met Police
This is the moment a 58-year-old man was ambushed in by a motorbike gang believed to have committed seven thefts in two days in the borough.
The victim was driving on Roden Street in Ilford when he was surrounded by seven suspects on four mopeds.
Captured on helmet camera, the video shows the man being attacked with a fire extinguisher.
He then falls to the floor and the terrorising teens then attempted to steal his motorcycle in the attack at about 3.15pm on Tuesday, April 18.
After an unsuccessful attempt, the youths then fled the scene
You may also want to watch:
Detectives investigating a spate of “moped-enabled” thefts said there were seven moped-enabled offences in Barking and Dagenham from Monday, April 17, to Tuesday, April 18.
They believe the attacks were carried out by the same group of people and are appealing for members of the public to come forward if they know anything.
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 3 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 4 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 5 Watchdog upholds 90pc of complaints against council, figures show
- 6 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 7 Dagenham author pens novel to mark centenary of Becontree Estate
- 8 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 9 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 10 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
Det Sgt Dean Grafton, from the East Area Command Unit based in Ilford, said: “We are appealing for any information as to the identity and whereabouts of this gang that are clearly targeting motorcyclists in the east London area.
“They are often seen in pairs on mopeds or scooters and with a fire extinguisher to distract their victim with a view to stealing the motorbikes.
“If anyone has recorded video footage of the group, please can they contact us.”
Three teenagers were arrested and subsequently released under investigation and inquiries continue.
Any witnesses or anyone who has any information is urged to contact the investigation team on 07766 247747, or via 101, or by tweeting @MetCC
To give information anonymously contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or visit crimestoppers-uk.org