Video: Cannabis farm found in Chadwell Heath council flat
- Credit: Archant
Police discovered a cannabis farm at a council flat in Chadwell Heath this morning.
The Post joined Whalebone Safer Neighbourhood Team as they carried out a search warrant on the property in Grantham Gardens at around 8am.
As there was no-one at the flat officers knocked down the door and found around 40 cannabis plants and hydroponic equipment in a room on the first floor.
A sample of the plants - which have street value of between £4,000 to £8,000 - will be taken for analysis and the rest removed and destroyed.
Leading the raid was Sgt Ian Lee. He said: “There were reports of cannabis smells at the block of flats, so using a helicopter, the air support unit carried out a thermal image search which showed up a lot of heat coming from this flat.
You may also want to watch:
“We obtained a search warrant from the courts and the raid lead to the discovery of around 40 to 50 cannabis plants. The heat was caused by the equipment used to grow the plants.”
He said the flat would be searched for evidence which can be used to track down the suspects and help bring about a conviction.
- 1 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 2 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 3 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall
- 4 Meet the singer drawing global audiences to her Barking living room
- 5 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 6 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Street food market coming to Barking as lockdown continues to ease
- 8 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 9 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 10 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
Resident Bukola Olomola, 30, who lives in a neighbouring flat, said she was “shocked” to hear a farm had been growing so close to her home.
“I had no idea,” she told the Post. “I had smelled some cannabis before but thought it was just people smoking it. I rarely see anybody going in and out of the flat.”
It is not thought anyone was living at the council property.