VIDEO: Crime-spree youths who raided a Barking phone shop are jailed

Footage shows a gang of youths ripping phones and ipads from the wall of Carphone Warehouse in Stati

Footage shows a gang of youths ripping phones and ipads from the wall of Carphone Warehouse in Station Parade, Barking, at 12.50pm on December 1, 2012 - Credit: Archant

Video footage of youths stealing high-value electronic goods during a “steaming” raid on a well-known high street chain has been released after gang members were jailed.

The footage shows the gang dressed in black clothes with hoods pulled up, ripping goods such as mobile phones and iPads from the wall of a Carphone Warehouse store in Station Parade, Barking.

Eight members of the gang, aged between 15 and 22, were sentenced at Southwark Crown Court on Friday (March 22).

The lunchtime robbery in Barking on December 1 last year was one of a spate of attacks targeting 42 stores of the electronics retailer across the capital between July and December 2012 performed using a tactic known as “steaming” where raids are targeted quickly and violently.

The group were arrested after an intelligence-led operation by the National Mobile Phone Crime Unit (NMPCU) having stolen around £150,000 worth of stock and caused £55,000 worth of damage during their six month spree.

Detective Inspector Mark Loving said: “Due to the hard work and dedication of officers and staff from the NMPCU, eight males have been successfully convicted in relation to organised pan-London offending.

“This case should act as a warning to anyone involved in this type of activity that the Met and NMPCU will robustly and swiftly deal with those who use intimidation to fulfil their greed.”

Most Read

He added: “The professionalism of the officers and staff, using a broad range of methods, has ensured that these individuals have been brought to justice, reducing the fear that these incidents cause to the local communities and members of the public.”

The two eldest gang members, Jahreau Shepherd, 22, of Orsett Street in Lambeth and Ugo Wilson, 21, of Aviation Drive in Barnet, received a four-year jail term and a 27-month jail term respectively.

Perry Hedges, 18, of Howard Road, Kingston, was sentenced to 26 months detention in a Young Offenders Institution and Emmanuel Kakala, 18, of Cargreen Road, Croydon, received 18 months imprisonment suspended for two years and 80 hours community service. Samuel Warnes, 20, of Egleston Road, Merton, Surrey, was handed 12 months imprisonment suspended for two years, and 12 months supervision.

Three youths under the age of 18 who cannot be named for legal reasons were also sentenced. A 15-year-old boy of the Lambeth area was sentenced to 10 months’ detention and training, a 16-year-old boy from the Wandsworth area who was given 18 months detention and training and a 17-year-old boy from the Hillingdon area was sentenced to 12 months detention and training.