‘Violent and aggressive’ man with knife tasered inside Barking supermarket
- Credit: Archant
Police officers tasered a “violent and aggressive” man armed with a five inch knife inside a supermarket.
They were called to the Tesco Extra store on Highbridge Road, Barking, at around 12.30pm yesterday to find the man, aged 50, had already been locked in a detention room by security staff.
He was still armed with the knife and had smashed the security glass in the door, injuring himself slightly, in an attempt to escape.
As he still had the knife, and officers did not know if he had any other weapons on him, he was tasered and quickly handcuffed.
The man, a Romanian national, was then arrested for being in possession of a pointed and bladed article and for causing criminal damage.
You may also want to watch:
He was taken to hospital for treatment for a head injury then to an east London police station where he remains in custody.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 6 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 Paralympic gold medallist inspires Dagenham judo pupils
- 10 Barking woman praises job programme that has helped more than 3,000 people