Warning after fraudsters posing as builders make home visit
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Two fraudsters claiming to be builders tried to swindle a Dagenham woman out of money for roofing “repairs”.
The Metropolitan Police said a man in his early 30s approached the woman’s home in Gale Street early on Saturday evening.
The suspect allegedly told her she had “a hairline crack” in her roof and asked for a £500 deposit to complete the work.
After she told him she did not have the money, he claimed he would get a loan for her and returned a few hours later with another male, described as a slim man in his early 50s.
She said both men, who were not known to the woman, appeared to be looking around the house whilst standing in the hallway.
You may also want to watch:
The first man is described as slim with “pushed black hair”. He spoke with a local accent and was wearing a smart, black jacket.
The second, who spoke with an Irish accent, reportedly wore a t-shirt and looked “dirty”.
- 1 Fines for Havering landlords who put Dagenham tenants 'in danger'
- 2 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 3 Meet the singer drawing global audiences to her Barking living room
- 4 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 5 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 6 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall
- 7 'Terrifying' CCTV footage shows vandals take axes to cars of NHS workers
- 8 Barking fishmongers shut down by council after Covid-19 safety warning
- 9 RSPCA appeal over video of dog 'carried' by collar in Dagenham
- 10 Council denies Barking mum's claim that it took hours to respond to flood
To report an incident to Action Fraud, the national fraud and cyber crime reporting centre, call 0300 123 2040.