Warning after fraudsters posing as builders make home visit
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Two fraudsters claiming to be builders tried to swindle a Dagenham woman out of money for roofing “repairs”.
The Metropolitan Police said a man in his early 30s approached the woman’s home in Gale Street early on Saturday evening.
The suspect allegedly told her she had “a hairline crack” in her roof and asked for a £500 deposit to complete the work.
After she told him she did not have the money, he claimed he would get a loan for her and returned a few hours later with another male, described as a slim man in his early 50s.
She said both men, who were not known to the woman, appeared to be looking around the house whilst standing in the hallway.
You may also want to watch:
The first man is described as slim with “pushed black hair”. He spoke with a local accent and was wearing a smart, black jacket.
The second, who spoke with an Irish accent, reportedly wore a t-shirt and looked “dirty”.
- 1 Work to begin on river bus pier at Barking Riverside
- 2 Teenage pedestrian in hospital after Dagenham crash
- 3 Work begins on £1.8m arts centre transformation in Barking
- 4 Ricardo Fuller death: Third man charged with murder
- 5 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 6 East London travel disruption round-up for the week ahead
- 7 Man praises community spirit after flood water threatens homes in Dagenham
- 8 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 9 Parkrun returns to east London: Where can you join in?
- 10 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
To report an incident to Action Fraud, the national fraud and cyber crime reporting centre, call 0300 123 2040.