Warning after fraudsters posing as builders make home visit
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Two fraudsters claiming to be builders tried to swindle a Dagenham woman out of money for roofing “repairs”.
The Metropolitan Police said a man in his early 30s approached the woman’s home in Gale Street early on Saturday evening.
The suspect allegedly told her she had “a hairline crack” in her roof and asked for a £500 deposit to complete the work.
After she told him she did not have the money, he claimed he would get a loan for her and returned a few hours later with another male, described as a slim man in his early 50s.
She said both men, who were not known to the woman, appeared to be looking around the house whilst standing in the hallway.
The first man is described as slim with “pushed black hair”. He spoke with a local accent and was wearing a smart, black jacket.
The second, who spoke with an Irish accent, reportedly wore a t-shirt and looked “dirty”.
- 1 Dagenham man fined within hours of fly-tipping at bus stop
- 2 Dagenham man jailed for 12 years for punching to death Marius Lakavicius
- 3 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 4 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 5 Police appeal after intruder reportedly enters Barking home and threatens woman with knife
- 6 Major tube strike to follow Queen's Platinum Jubilee long weekend
- 7 Zouma brothers to face the courts amid animal abuse allegations
- 8 'Beautiful skin and incredible smile': What happened when the Queen visited a Dagenham school
- 9 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
- 10 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
To report an incident to Action Fraud, the national fraud and cyber crime reporting centre, call 0300 123 2040.