Warning after fraudsters posing as builders make home visit
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Two fraudsters claiming to be builders tried to swindle a Dagenham woman out of money for roofing “repairs”.
The Metropolitan Police said a man in his early 30s approached the woman’s home in Gale Street early on Saturday evening.
The suspect allegedly told her she had “a hairline crack” in her roof and asked for a £500 deposit to complete the work.
After she told him she did not have the money, he claimed he would get a loan for her and returned a few hours later with another male, described as a slim man in his early 50s.
She said both men, who were not known to the woman, appeared to be looking around the house whilst standing in the hallway.
You may also want to watch:
The first man is described as slim with “pushed black hair”. He spoke with a local accent and was wearing a smart, black jacket.
The second, who spoke with an Irish accent, reportedly wore a t-shirt and looked “dirty”.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 6 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Paralympic gold medallist inspires Dagenham judo pupils
- 9 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 10 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years
To report an incident to Action Fraud, the national fraud and cyber crime reporting centre, call 0300 123 2040.