Warning as Barking and Dagenham conman poses as police officer
Police have asked residents to look out for vulnerable people after a man tried to rob an elderly couple’s home pretending to be an officer.
The man knocked on the door of the couple on July 16, showed them a gold badge with a photo ID and claimed to be from Whitechapel CID.
He said that due to rising burglary and robbery in the area he needed to look around and leave some “micro-chipped” bank notes.
The couple allowed him in but nothing was taken as they do not keep valuables in their home.
Investigating officer Det Con Trevor Guy of Barking and Dagenham CID said: “If you care for an elderly or vulnerable person please make sure that they have contact details for their Safer Neighbourhoods Team and know to dial 999 if a caller is suspicious.
You may also want to watch:
“People who commit this crime prey on the trusting nature of more vulnerable members of our community and will tell all manner of lies to get in. Remember, if there is any doubt at all, keep them out.”
Visit met.police.uk/site/saferneighbourhoods for information on your SNT.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 3 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 4 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 5 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 8 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 9 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 10 Daggers boss McMahon 'very pleased' with Southend United victory