Warning as Barking and Dagenham conman poses as police officer
Police have asked residents to look out for vulnerable people after a man tried to rob an elderly couple’s home pretending to be an officer.
The man knocked on the door of the couple on July 16, showed them a gold badge with a photo ID and claimed to be from Whitechapel CID.
He said that due to rising burglary and robbery in the area he needed to look around and leave some “micro-chipped” bank notes.
The couple allowed him in but nothing was taken as they do not keep valuables in their home.
Investigating officer Det Con Trevor Guy of Barking and Dagenham CID said: “If you care for an elderly or vulnerable person please make sure that they have contact details for their Safer Neighbourhoods Team and know to dial 999 if a caller is suspicious.
You may also want to watch:
“People who commit this crime prey on the trusting nature of more vulnerable members of our community and will tell all manner of lies to get in. Remember, if there is any doubt at all, keep them out.”
Visit met.police.uk/site/saferneighbourhoods for information on your SNT.
- 1 Man, 19, stabbed in thigh in Dagenham
- 2 Clean up continues after flooding across Barking and Dagenham
- 3 Man charged with murder after fatal Dagenham assault
- 4 Manager celebrates 25 years working for supermarket
- 5 Murder investigation in Dagenham after man dies in street
- 6 Dagenham set to sign youngster Aaron Blair as McQueen to go out on loan
- 7 College student selected as national finalist with pearly king photo series
- 8 Dagenham 88 Runners returned to parkrun action and tackled ELVIS race
- 9 Dagenham MP seeks views on CPZs after 'hundreds raise concerns'
- 10 Admissions open for new Barking school