Watch 93-year-old grandad’s Ford Rolex get snatched in Dagenham
- Credit: Archant
A chilling video shows the moment that a grandfather had his precious Ford retirement watch stolen in a distraction theft.
Former Ford employee Eric Gilbert was walking along Ballards Road in Dagenham on Monday at 11.30am when five people in a car stopped and asked him for directions.
After he had helped the two men and three women in the silver saloon-type car, one of the women tried to put a ring on his finger – and at the same time Eric realised one of the men was trying to steal his wedding ring.
The pensioner told them to leave him alone, and the car drove off – at which point he realised he was missing his gold Rolex watch.
He had the precious watch, which was engrave “For loyal service Eric Gilbert” for thirty years since he retired from his job at ford, his granddaughter said.
You may also want to watch:
Police describe the suspects as Asian people in their forties, and ask anyone with any information to contact detectives in barkign and Dagenham on 101, or via Twitter @MetCC. You can also call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111 if you do not want to give your name.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 5 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 6 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 7 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 8 Paralympic gold medallist inspires Dagenham judo pupils
- 9 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 10 Murder of 'local hero' policeman in Dagenham to be marked after 175 years