Public urged to join weapons sweeps in Barking and Dagenham Heathway
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Neighbours have been urged to help in a weapons sweep as part of a crackdown on crime.
Barking and Dagenham Council and the Met have called for volunteers to help them clamp down on weapons being used on the streets with searches planned in Barking town centre and Dagenham Heathway on December 13.
Cllr Margaret Mullane, cabinet member for enforcement and community safety, said: “While there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes to tackle the issue, the only way we will ever solve this problem for good is by working together as one community.
“Everyone is invited, so if you have some spare time, whether it is two minutes or two hours, come and help us take these deadly devices off our streets.”
The sweeps will happen between 10am and midday in Barking and from 1pm to 2pm in Dagenham.
You may also want to watch:
Meet at Barking station or Dagenham Heathway station at the allotted times.
- 1 16-year-old boy stabbed in Dagenham
- 2 Dagenham MP Jon Cruddas in 'crisis' warning over local plan
- 3 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 4 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 5 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 6 East London police officer charged with rape
- 7 Stephen Port inquests: Dog walker recalls finding victims in churchyard
- 8 Primary pupils share Black History Month learning with mayor
- 9 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
- 10 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.