Public urged to join weapons sweeps in Barking and Dagenham Heathway
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Neighbours have been urged to help in a weapons sweep as part of a crackdown on crime.
Barking and Dagenham Council and the Met have called for volunteers to help them clamp down on weapons being used on the streets with searches planned in Barking town centre and Dagenham Heathway on December 13.
Cllr Margaret Mullane, cabinet member for enforcement and community safety, said: “While there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes to tackle the issue, the only way we will ever solve this problem for good is by working together as one community.
“Everyone is invited, so if you have some spare time, whether it is two minutes or two hours, come and help us take these deadly devices off our streets.”
The sweeps will happen between 10am and midday in Barking and from 1pm to 2pm in Dagenham.
You may also want to watch:
Meet at Barking station or Dagenham Heathway station at the allotted times.
- 1 Marvel movie blockbuster Black Widow filmed in Dagenham
- 2 Watchdog upholds 90pc of complaints against council, figures show
- 3 Dagenham pastry chef wins patisserie award
- 4 Man in hospital after being found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 5 Dagenham man sentenced after flying kick at cop during Black Lives Matter demo
- 6 Dagenham author pens novel to mark centenary of Becontree Estate
- 7 Storage building next to disused Dagenham pub destroyed by fire
- 8 Data reveals house price rises in Olympic boroughs since London 2012
- 9 Barking and Dagenham and Redbridge 'least active' boroughs in London, study finds
- 10 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?