Public urged to join weapons sweeps in Barking and Dagenham Heathway
- Credit: PA Archive/PA Images
Neighbours have been urged to help in a weapons sweep as part of a crackdown on crime.
Barking and Dagenham Council and the Met have called for volunteers to help them clamp down on weapons being used on the streets with searches planned in Barking town centre and Dagenham Heathway on December 13.
Cllr Margaret Mullane, cabinet member for enforcement and community safety, said: “While there is a lot of work going on behind the scenes to tackle the issue, the only way we will ever solve this problem for good is by working together as one community.
“Everyone is invited, so if you have some spare time, whether it is two minutes or two hours, come and help us take these deadly devices off our streets.”
The sweeps will happen between 10am and midday in Barking and from 1pm to 2pm in Dagenham.
You may also want to watch:
Meet at Barking station or Dagenham Heathway station at the allotted times.
- 1 Barking mum: 'Wood falling from truck could have killed me or my kids'
- 2 Watch the moment Dagenham man attacks police officer with sword
- 3 Barking & Dagenham girls on cloud nine after big opening win
- 4 Images released of man in connection with robbery on train from Barking
- 5 Meet the candidates battling for votes in the Thames ward by-election
- 6 Jailed: Dagenham man for role in 'brutal' attack on off-duty police officer
- 7 Charity shops open, Covid rules, park toilets and child exploitation
- 8 Vaisakhi observed with ceremony at Barking Town Hall
- 9 Survey asks women where they feel unsafe in Barking and Dagenham
- 10 Appeal for help to find boy missing from Dagenham