Woman ‘had dinner with Dagenham man days after he allegedly raped her’ – court
- Credit: Archant
A woman who accused an illegal immigrant of repeatedly raping her chose to have dinner with him days later, a court has heard.
Daiwad Khan, 25, of Wood Lane, Dagenham, is accused of three counts of rape, a single count each of assault by penetration and sexual assault, two counts of battery, and one of intimidation in respect of the alleged incident at Ilford’s Cranbrook Hotel.
Delivering his closing speech to the jury at Snaresbrook Crown Court, Andrew Cohen, defending, told jurors Khan’s accuser had lied in court about the exact dates of the alleged offences.
He said she had given a “false impression of the relationship” by not initially admitting to the court the pair had had consensual sex after meeting at Barking market, where Khan worked at a stall.
He also said she only confirmed the pair had met in the days following the alleged incident after being faced with “incontrovertible evidence” in court.
He told jurors: “She is willing to lie and lie again until she is caught out.”
The jury heard how Khan was an “overstayer”, meaning an illegal immigrant, when the pair met.
- 1 Hundreds of children strip searched by Met Police
- 2 Forests between Dagenham and Brentwood to benefit from mass plantations amid £40 million investment
- 3 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 4 Liz Truss visits Dagenham youth centre on Tory leadership campaign trail
- 5 Jailed: Eight east London offenders locked up in July
- 6 'Affordable' Dagenham housing scheme completed
- 7 Kittens dumped in Barking 'like rubbish' in 35C heatwave
- 8 Gun shots fired in Dagenham
- 9 ‘It’s like a warzone’: Extent of damage to Ballards Road homes on show following blaze which destroyed 14 houses
- 10 Jailed: Dagenham dealer supplied Class A drugs to Colchester users
Mr Cohen said: “The victim thought the only reason he was interested in her was to sort out his illegal status in this country [through marriage].
“Unless the defendant is a lunatic this wasn’t – if what she says is true – the way to go about it.”
The jury is expected to go out to consider its verdict later today.