Youngsters traumatised after escaped dog kills family cat in Barking home
- Credit: Archant
A mother has spoken of the terrifying moment a dog ran into her home, killed the family’s cat and ran towards her nine-year-old daughter.
The youngster, Sianna Clark, and her sister Hannah Nolan, 17, were upstairs at their house in Charlton Crescent, Barking on Tuesday when they heard their cat Jerry screeching from downstairs.
They ran down to see Jerry in the jaws of a Staffordshire bull terrier. Moments later, according to mum, Janet Murphy, the dog dropped the cat and ran towards Sianna growling.
“When she saw the dog come towards her, Sianna, with her sister, ran upstairs and locked themselves in a bedroom,” said Janet, 43. “They were terrified.”
“My neighbour then saw the dog running out of the house with Jerry in its mouth, before stopping at its owner’s house nearby, where it dropped my cat, who was dead by that time.”
Janet, who was at work at the time, was contacted by the neighbour, and called police soon after.
“They said there’s nothing they can do because the dog didn’t actually attack my daughter. I think that’s unbelievable - it makes me so angry.”
- 1 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
- 2 Council leader on the borough's future, CPZs and receiving death threats
- 3 Dagenham cat with misshapen eye struggles to find home
- 4 Baby boy died from 'whiplash' injuries caused by shaking, trial hears
- 5 Dagenham woman to face trial on numerous robbery charges
- 6 Boy, 5, dies after 'unexplained' incident off Heathway
- 7 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 8 McMahon proud of excellent Dagenham & Redbridge win over Wrexham
- 9 Teenager charged with GBH after stabbing in Dagenham
- 10 Man pleads not guilty to unlicensed street trading in Dagenham
She said her daughters were traumatised by the experience and devastated at losing their pet.
“Jerry was part of the family, we’re so sad to have lost him and in such a horrible way,” she told the Post.
The Post is waiting for a police response.