Daggers held by Halifax as both sides see red

Conor Wilkinson of Dagenham & Redbridge against Halifax Town (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo)

Conor Wilkinson of Dagenham & Redbridge against Halifax Town (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo) - Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo

Vanarama National League: Dagenham & Redbridge 1 (Munns 60) Halifax Town 1 (Clarke 80)

Dagenham & Redbridge were held to a 1-1 draw by Halifax Town in the Vanarama National League, despite the visitors playing for almost an hour with 10 men.

In a dull first half, a red card for the Shaymen’s Josh Staunton was a rare talking point.

Though Jack Munns fired Peter Taylor’s men ahead in the second half, the visitors drew level in the final 10 minutes.

There was another blow late on as home skipper Ben Nunn picked up two bookings in quick succession to be sent off.

You may also want to watch:

Daggers were forced into one change from the XI that won at Hartlepool United last weekend, with Luke Pennell missing out through injury.

Kenny Clark, a recent signing from divisional rivals Ebbsfleet United, came in at left-back for Pennell to make his first start for Taylor’s men.

Most Read

Staunton, who played for the Essex club in the 2016/17 season, lined up in midfield for Halifax.

Despite being put under pressure by Town in the opening stages, Daggers created the first real chance of the game in the eighth minute.

Alex McQueen found Angelo Balanta in the box with a cross from the right, but the ex-Boreham Wood man could not direct his header on target.

A free-kick eight minutes later from the edge of the area by Jack Munns looked on target, but was pushed behind for a corner by Shaymen stopper Sam Johnson.

With 10 minutes to go in the half, Staunton’s return to Victoria Road came to an early read as the Halifax man was dismissed, somewhat harshly, for a full-blooded challenge on McQueen.

Despite their man advantage, Daggers could not make the most of it before the break as the sides went in level.

Ollie Harfield came on for the Essex club in place of Harry Phipps at half-time and almost made a swift impact.

The midfielder whipped a delicious ball in from the left in the 48th minute, but McQueen was unable to get a telling touch on the ball to divert it goalwards.

Four minutes later, good play down the left ending with the ball at the feet of Conor Wilkinson inside the box, but the striker’s effort was blocked.

The Victoria Road outfit continued to press with chances for Wilkinson and Balanta as they searched for a breakthrough.

That finally came in the 60th minute when Jack Munns showed good composure to open the scoring.

Daggers worked the ball across the edge of the box before eventually finding Munns, who showed good footwork to fashion room for a shot, before leathering one past Johnson.

The Essex club were unable to kick on from their and add to their lead, which proved costly 10 minutes from time.

A corner from the right by Matty Kosylo found Nathan Clarke at the back post, with the defender powerfully heading home.

With 30 seconds of normal time remaining, a cross from the right by Ben Nunn was headed down by McQueen.

Substitute Tomi Adeloye was first to react, but fired over from 10 yards with his weaker left foot.

The final action came with almost the final kick of the ball as Nunn collected his second booking to be sent off.

That means the right-back will miss next Saturday’s trip to Ebbsfleet United in the FA Trophy, where Peter Taylor’s men will look to return to winning ways.

Daggers (4-4-2): Justham; Nunn, Onariase, Goodliffe, Clark; McQueen, Phipps (Harfield 46), Robinson (Gordon 90+3), Munns; Balanta (Adeloye 88), Wilkinson.

Subs: Moore (GK), Kandi.

Halifax (4-2-3-1): Johnson; Hanson, Brown, Clarke, Sellers; Staunton, Maher; McLeod (Skarz 39), Preston, Kosylo; Southwell (Edwards 66).

Subs: Rowley (GK), Duckworth, Odelusi.

Sent off: Staunton 35.

Referee: Richard Hulme

Attendance: 1,098 (including 47 Halifax fans).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter