Daggers hit back to beat Fylde

Conor Wilkinson of Dagenham & Redbridge scores the first goal for his team against Fylde (pic: Gavin

Conor Wilkinson of Dagenham & Redbridge scores the first goal for his team against Fylde (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo) - Credit: Gavin Ellis/TGS Photo

Vanarama National League: Dagenham & Redbridge 2 (Wilkinson 28, Munns 64) Fylde 1 (Bond 1)

Dagenham & Redbridge recorded a third win in their last four Vanarama National League matches with a 2-1 success at home to Fylde.

Despite being second best for much of the first half, Daggers were level at the break thanks to a goal from Conor Wilkinson on his debut.

The Essex club then took the lead through Jack Munns, before an inspired display in goal from Elliot Justham saw them hold on to their advantage.

Daggers boss Peter Taylor made one change to his starting XI following the defeat at Sutton United on their last outing two weeks ago.

You may also want to watch:

Wilkinson, who recently joined on loan from Sky Bet League One side Gillingham, came into the side in attack, with Tomi Adeloye dropping to the bench.

Luke Pennell again deputised at left-back with Nathan Smith again missing through injury, while Liam Gordon was among the substitutes.

Most Read

Harry Phipps continued his recent renaissance, linking up in the heart of midfield with Matt Robinson.

The Victoria Road club began the match in disastrous fashion, with Fylde taking the lead with just 34 seconds on the clock.

An error from Ben Goodliffe allowed Gime Toure in behind, with the Coasters man eventually laying the ball off to Danny Rowe.

The initial shot from Rowe was saved by Justham in goal for Daggers, but midfielder Andy Bond was on hand to tap home the rebound from close range.

Toure went close to doubling the advantage for Dave Challinor’s men six minutes later, but a tremendous save from Justham kept the curling, 18-yard effort out.

Justham was called up again in the 17th minute, this time keeping out a placed effort from the edge of the area from Bond.

Daggers stopper Justham was getting little help from his defence early on, keeping out another shot inside the area from Toure a minute later.

Taylor’s men were on the back foot early on, though were nearly gifted a goal in the 21st minute.

A poor goal kick by Fylde’s Jay Lynch was intercepted by Wilkinson, who laid it off the Alex McQueen.

The Grenada international bore down on goal, but a poor touch allowed Lynch to block any shot.

The ball then rebounded out to Robinson, but again Lynch was on hand to shut down the Daggers midfielder before he could get a shot away.

Despite being second best more much of the opening exchanges, the Essex club drew level with their first shot of the game in the 28th minute.

Wilkinson turned his marker on the edge of the area, before firing off a daisy-cutter with his left foot to mark his Daggers debut in the best of ways.

That was a strike that ensured the sides went into the break level, despite the Essex club conceding within the opening minute.

Fylde, though started the second half brightly and were unfortunate not to regain the lead in the 52nd minute when a goalmouth scramble ended with Nick Haughton scuffing an effort over the bar.

It was Daggers, though, who took the lead through Munns in the 64th minute with his first goal for the club.

Skipper Ben Nunn set McQueen away down the right, before the winning played the ball across goal for Munns to tap home from close range.

The Victoria Road outfit’s lead was almost short-lived, however, as Haughton flashed wide for the Coasters from the edge of the area two minutes later.

With 15 minutes remaining, a terrific double save from Justham saw him first keep out a deflected shot from Haughton, before blocking Toure’s follow-up.

Taylor’s men could have had a third when substitute Chike Kandi found Robinson at the end of a counter-attack, but the latter’s effort was cleared off the line.

At the other end, Justham continued his fine form in goal with fingertip save to kee put a Toure header in the 86th minute.

Though Fylde piled on the pressure late on, the Essex club were never truly in danger until the final whistle sounded the cap a remarkable win.

Daggers will hope to follow it up on Saturday when they head to Bromley in the league.

Daggers (4-2-3-1): Justham; Nunn, Onariase, Goodliffe, Pennell; Robinson, Phipps; McQueen, Balanta (Adeloye 90), Munns (Gordon 79); Wilkinson (Kandi 58).

Subs: Moore, Wright.

Fylde (4-3-3): Lynch; Burke, Byrne, Tunnicliffe, Williams (Hemmings 68); Bond (Kellerman 24), Croasdale (Tasdemir 84), Philliskirk; Toure, Rowe, Haughton.

Subs: Birch, Brewitt.

Referee: Chris Pollard.

Attendance: 1,328 (including 49 Fylde fans).

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter