Search

Dagenham family of five evacuate home after kitchen fire

PUBLISHED: 07:59 04 June 2015 | UPDATED: 08:51 04 June 2015

Archant

A family of five were forced to evacuate their home last night when their evening meal went up in flames.

Firefighters from Barking were called to a flat in Ilchester Road, Dagenham, at 8.40pm and put out the fire, which was caused by unattended sizzling pork.

The building suffered smoke damage but the two adults and three children were unharmed after leaving the house upon hearing their smoke alarm.

Crews were also called to a similar incident in Tallow Close the previous night – this time the result of cooking plantain.

The two adult occupants left their homes safely after neighbours heard their alarm.

Barking station watch manager Stephen Chaplin said: “In both incidents the smoke alarms did their jobs which underlies the importance of having working alarms, and testing them regularly to make sure they work.

“If you are cooking, do not leave food unattended.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post