Dagenham family of five evacuate home after kitchen fire
- Credit: Archant
A family of five were forced to evacuate their home last night when their evening meal went up in flames.
Firefighters from Barking were called to a flat in Ilchester Road, Dagenham, at 8.40pm and put out the fire, which was caused by unattended sizzling pork.
The building suffered smoke damage but the two adults and three children were unharmed after leaving the house upon hearing their smoke alarm.
Crews were also called to a similar incident in Tallow Close the previous night – this time the result of cooking plantain.
The two adult occupants left their homes safely after neighbours heard their alarm.
You may also want to watch:
Barking station watch manager Stephen Chaplin said: “In both incidents the smoke alarms did their jobs which underlies the importance of having working alarms, and testing them regularly to make sure they work.
“If you are cooking, do not leave food unattended.”
- 1 Second blaze breaks out at White Horse pub in Chadwell Heath
- 2 Dagenham primary scoops second mental health award
- 3 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 4 Station Parade traffic curbs get green light
- 5 Letters: Covid rules, tenants' manifesto, Streetspace, help RAF veterans and support children's charity
- 6 More than 100 attend first session of gangs awareness workshop run by detective
- 7 More than half of people in Barking and Dagenham may have had Covid, data shows
- 8 Appeal after shots fired at house in Dagenham
- 9 Rapid Covid-19 test site for people without symptoms open in Dagenham
- 10 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital