Dagenham lad looking to prove he has the X Factor
AFTER being knocked out of TV talent show, X-Factor, two years ago a Dagenham teenager has been given another chance to prove he s got what it takes to be a star. Singer Michael Hough impressed the all-star judging panel and the 2500 strong audience at t
AFTER being knocked out of TV talent show, X-Factor, two years ago a Dagenham teenager has been given another chance to prove he's got what it takes to be a star.
Singer Michael Hough impressed the all-star judging panel and the 2500 strong audience at the initial auditions to land himself a place at the next round of the nationwide contest.
Last week the 18-year-old and around 100 fellow competitors headed off to a secret UK location to take part in the gruelling X-Factor Boot Camp. For eight days the hopefuls will be put through their paces and mercilessly whittled down, until 25 acts remain. These lucky few acts will fight it out for the X-Factor crown at the weekly live finals, which kick off in October.
This is Michael's second time on X-Factor, having made it as far as the boot camp in 2007, when he was only 16-years-old.
You may also want to watch:
The performer, who also works at The Royal Bank of Scotland, says he's improved a lot in those two years and is more determined than ever to make it to the finals.
"I was still at school then, and didn't take it as seriously as I am now. I now realise just how much I want this and am putting everything I have into my performance," he said.
- 1 Arrest after girl, 14, found with facial injuries in Dagenham
- 2 16-year-old boy stabbed in Dagenham
- 3 Company fined £3k after supermarket in Dagenham sold booze to minor
- 4 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 5 Government 'never gave support' for Beam Park station, minister says
- 6 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week
- 7 Primary pupils share Black History Month learning with mayor
- 8 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 9 Stephen Port inquests: Police chief denies 'systemic' errors
- 10 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
One man who believes Michael has pop-star potential is celebrity judge and music mogul Louis Walsh.
"He told me he thinks I could go far. To hear that from him is just incredible. It made me very happy."
Michael, of Halbutt Street, admits he almost didn't get through the preliminary rounds, held in London a few weeks ago, after a shaky start to one of his auditions. "I walked on to the stage and was confronted by the judging panel and a massive audience and suddenly my nerves got the better of me. I tried to sing a Beyonce song but it didn't go well.
"I thought that was it, but they said I could try again, so this time I sang The Man Who Can't Be Moved, by The Script. It went a lot better and the audience loved it. I got a yes from Danni, Cheryl and Louis. Simon Cowell actually said no, but thankfully three yeses was enough to get me through."
He added: "In a way I think its good Simon said no, because I've now got more of a reason to become even better."
Michael says he can't wait to be amongst other performers at the boot camp. "It's not often I get to have so many talented musical people around me. Obviously we are competing against each other, but I remember from last time how much fun we all had together."
If Michael wins the hugely popular contest the youngster will bag himself a top recording contract and all the fame and glory that comes with being an X-factor star.
The initial X-Factor auditions and the boot camp will be screened on ITV from August 22.