Dagenham Leo is “alive and well” says council
PUBLISHED: 15:45 22 July 2011 | UPDATED: 15:50 22 July 2011
A well-known homeless man - rumoured to have died - is “alive and well”, Barking and Dagenham Council has announced.
The news follows a Facebook campaign appealing for information on the whereabouts of Leo Higgins, who had lived on the streets of Dagenham for more than 20 years but had not been seen for a number of weeks.
Thirty-year-old Darren Groves, of Bennetts Castle Lane, Dagenham, set up the site called “Find Leo the Tramp of Dagenham” last Monday and by Wednesday this week the page had more than 2000 likes and numerous messages from concerned residents.
Many said Leo had been taken to Queen’s Hospital with gangrene and is now at Chase View Care Home in Romford.
Today the council announced it is in contact with the man and added: “We can confirm that he is alive and well and on his behalf we would ask people to respect his privacy.”
Darren, a pest controller, said he was delighted to hear the news. “It’s fantastic to finally have official confirmation that he is OK.
“I am now asking people to leave messages for Leo on the site and I shall have them printed into a book and send it to the home, where I believe he’s staying.
“Unless Leo wants to contact us, I will leave it at this. The last thing I want to do is encourage unintentional harassment of Leo. At the end of the day the aim was to find Leo and ensure he is safe and well, which has been achieved.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.