'An example for others': Praise for vaccine centre volunteer, 72
- Credit: LBBD
A volunteer who gives up his time for numerous organisations and community services has added a vaccination centre to the list.
Dagenham man John Janes, 72, is doing evening shifts at the clinic at Broadway Theatre in Barking, from 7pm to 10pm.
He also volunteers as a poppy organiser for the British Legion and for the NHS, Red Cross, Royal Naval Association and standard bearer for the borough colours.
“I just want to help the community and it is good to feel needed," Mr Janes said.
Barking and Dagenham councillor Sade Bright, who is cabinet member for employment, skills and aspiration, said Mr Janes is "an example for others to emulate”.
You may also want to watch:
“We have over 1,500 residents volunteering in a number of roles with the council and it is a way to get back into work, pick up necessary skills and experience or for some, just giving back to the community,” she said.
"To them I say thank you.”
- 1 Woman brightens up Barking and Dagenham with colourful crochet creations
- 2 Staff to strike at primary school in Dagenham
- 3 Appeal for help as girl, 17, reported missing from Dagenham
- 4 Bobby Moore's daughter visits Upney buildings to be named after footballers
- 5 'Strong, united community' hailed as plans for hotel in Barking withdrawn
- 6 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 7 Walk-in Covid-19 jab events for all adults to be held in Barking
- 8 TfL admits wrongly charging supercar driver almost £1k in emission fees
- 9 Exhibition launches to celebrate 100 years of Becontree Estate
- 10 Met launches summer operation as teen killings surge