Search

Dagenham “People’s Parade” continues despite no Town Show

PUBLISHED: 07:00 11 July 2013 | UPDATED: 09:38 11 July 2013

The parade at the Dagenham Town Show last year.

The parade at the Dagenham Town Show last year.

Archant

The Dagenham Town Show might be over but the parade will still go on.

Organisers of the annual carnival parade said they were contacted by Barking and Dagenham Council and asked if they would be happy to put it on again this year.

On Saturday, July 20, the now-renamed People’s Parade will set off from Central Park at around 1.30pm and makes its way down the Heathway to finish up in Old Dagenham Park.

Organiser Lynne Spillett said they would have the usual groups taking part including majorettes, dance schools, the Brownies, Guides and cadets.

They will also be collecting money to give to three local charities: Trinity Special School, the Osborne Partnership, which offers training to people with learning difficulties, and local cancer charity Mark McCarthys’ Magic Moments.

Last year the council announced there would be no Town Show this year due to financial constraints, putting an end to 60 years of the festival.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Barking and Dagenham Post