Dagenham residents celebrate end of the road for ‘dangerous’ access plans
PUBLISHED: 16:01 21 March 2017 | UPDATED: 16:01 21 March 2017
Residents have spoken of their relief after “dangerous” plans to build an access road through their cul-de-sac were finally defeated.
David Keith, 79, has led the campaign to preserve the peace in Rosemary Gardens, Dagenham, where he has lived for 48 years.
“We’re really pleased with the result,” he said after the decision was announced on Friday.
“There’s a certain amount of freedom in our cul-de-sac, children come down here and play,” explained David, who brought up two children on the street he lives on with his wife Jeanne, 77.
“It would have been very dangerous having cars going through all the time, it’s really quiet here and we want to keep it that way,” he added.
The application was first announced by developers Lagonda Finance Corporation in November. The developer never announced the reason for building an access road through from Whalebone Lane South or stated why they wanted to demolish five garages.
Sid Ghoomun and John Hunter from the transport development management at Barking and Dagenham Council said the road “would not be able to safely accommodate a new vehicle access arrangement or have capacity for any additional or various types of traffic without detriment to the existing residents and garage owners”.
A council spokesman added that planning permission had been refused “on the grounds of harm to highway and pedestrian safety and the amenity of residents of Rosemary Gardens”.
Cooley Architects, who submitted the application on behalf of Lagonda, were not available for comment by time of press.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Barking and Dagenham Post. Click the link in the orange box above for details.