Law student from Dagenham up for national award
- Credit: Archant
A law student from Dagenham is a finalist in the competition to find the country’s brightest future legal mind.
Deborah Longe, 19, is in the first year of her law degree at Durham University and wants to become a barrister. She has also been shortlisted for the annual Future Legal Mind award.
“I was so shocked and happy when I found out I had been shortlisted, it was great to have my desire and hunger for Law recognised,” Deborah said.
In its fifth year, the competition is run by the National Accident Helpline.
Law students were invited to submit an essay about their ambitions and how having a legally trained mind will benefit them, their local community and society.
You may also want to watch:
She was amongst the 10 who were shortlisted and asked to submit a home-made video to back up their written entry.
Tom Fitzgerald, managing director of National Accident Helpline, said “Deborah’s essay and video showed us how she aspires to use her legally-trained mind to benefit society, and we wish her the best of luck in the competition.”
- 1 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 2 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 3 Eid prayer recited outside Barking Town Hall as groups call for more worship spaces
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 Former east London police sergeant sentenced after pleading guilty to harassment
- 6 Antisocial behaviour patrols in Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 8 'Love Island promo' spotted filming in Barking
- 9 'Singling out developers to sort out the cladding scandal'
- 10 Column: Pride and trust continues to grow in Dagenham squad
The winner of the competition will receive a prize that will include meeting a junior minister at the ministry of justice and receiving mentoring advice from experienced lawyers within the National Accident Helpline team.
They will get the chance to star in a showcase film presenting their skills and win £2,000.