Dagenham supermarket closed for allegedly 'breaking Covid rules 15 times'
- Credit: Google
A supermarket in Dagenham was ordered to shut up shop after it was accused of not enforcing Covid-19 rules.
Barking and Dagenham Council said its enforcement officers visited Ilford Food Centre in Green Lane 18 times over a three-month period until last week, and it was allegedly found to be complying on only three occasions.
The council says the shop failed to enforce face coverings for staff and customers as well as not maintaining social distancing.
Cllr Margaret Mullane, cabinet member for enforcement and community safety, said: “We’ve shown throughout this pandemic that we will try and work with businesses to ensure that they’re following the rules, but we’re not afraid to take enforcement action if needed and we know this is something supported by residents.”
A direction notice issued on Tuesday, May 19 ordered the shop to close immediately. If safety standards aren’t improved, it could be closed for up to two weeks or longer.
You may also want to watch:
Ilford Food Centre was contacted for comment.
- 1 Woman brightens up Barking and Dagenham with colourful crochet creations
- 2 'Strong, united community' hailed as plans for hotel in Barking withdrawn
- 3 Appeal for help as girl, 17, reported missing from Dagenham
- 4 Bobby Moore's daughter visits Upney buildings to be named after footballers
- 5 Three men found stabbed after alleged brawl in Dagenham
- 6 Walk-in Covid-19 jab events for all adults to be held in Barking
- 7 TfL admits wrongly charging supercar driver almost £1k in emission fees
- 8 RuPaul's Drag Race UK star Bimini Bon Boulash makes Covid-19 jabs call at London Stadium pop-up clinic
- 9 Exhibition launches to celebrate 100 years of Becontree Estate
- 10 Entries open for Barking and Dagenham talent contest