Dagenham woman runs marathon for charity
A WOMAN whose friend lost her three-year-old daughter to leukaemia, is running the London Marathon to raise cash for a cancer charity. Maria Saunderson, of Bentry Road, Dagenham, will take part in the gruelling 26.2 mile run around the capital in April.
A WOMAN whose friend lost her three-year-old daughter to leukaemia, is running the London Marathon to raise cash for a cancer charity.
Maria Saunderson, of Bentry Road, Dagenham, will take part in the gruelling 26.2 mile run around the capital in April.
The 27-year-old nursery nurse is hoping to raise at least �2,000 for Children with Leukaemia, a charity based at Great Ormond Street Hospital in London.
Maria told the POST why running in aid of the organisation was so important to her: "Cancer has affected a lot of people close to me.
You may also want to watch:
"I have a friend whose three-year-old daughter died of leukaemia, I lost both my grandparents to cancer, and my dad had cancer eight years ago. By doing this I really hope I can help raise awareness about the illness."
Through sponsorship from friends and colleagues Maria has raised �500 so far, and is determined to reach her target figure before the race in 11 weeks' time.
- 1 Butcher fined £40k for selling 'poor quality chicken'
- 2 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
- 3 Stephen Port victims' delayed inquest set to begin in Barking
- 4 Indian restaurants in Barking and Dagenham, recommended by readers
- 5 Humanist: 'Support bill to scrap archaic requirement for school worship'
- 6 Hospitality Day: Barking and Dagenham's favourite cafe, pub and restaurant revealed
- 7 Businesses urged to comply with new food labelling law
- 8 Man in 50s stabbed in Barking
- 9 Parade through Barking celebrates borough's 'inspirational' youngsters
- 10 Restaurant ordered to pay £5k after 2019 fly-tipping offences
And of course there's also the physical preparation to get her body ship-shape for the big day.
"I joined a running club last year and practice with them, but I've been running a lot on my own as well. I've never done a marathon before, but it's something I've wanted to do for a long time. I'm really excited about it, though I'm nervous too."
If you would like to sponsor Maria call her on 07738160648.