Dagenham woman runs marathon for charity
A WOMAN whose friend lost her three-year-old daughter to leukaemia, is running the London Marathon to raise cash for a cancer charity. Maria Saunderson, of Bentry Road, Dagenham, will take part in the gruelling 26.2 mile run around the capital in April.
A WOMAN whose friend lost her three-year-old daughter to leukaemia, is running the London Marathon to raise cash for a cancer charity.
Maria Saunderson, of Bentry Road, Dagenham, will take part in the gruelling 26.2 mile run around the capital in April.
The 27-year-old nursery nurse is hoping to raise at least �2,000 for Children with Leukaemia, a charity based at Great Ormond Street Hospital in London.
Maria told the POST why running in aid of the organisation was so important to her: "Cancer has affected a lot of people close to me.
"I have a friend whose three-year-old daughter died of leukaemia, I lost both my grandparents to cancer, and my dad had cancer eight years ago. By doing this I really hope I can help raise awareness about the illness."
Through sponsorship from friends and colleagues Maria has raised �500 so far, and is determined to reach her target figure before the race in 11 weeks' time.
- 1 Dagenham man fined within hours of fly-tipping at bus stop
- 2 The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee flypast: Where, and when, the planes will fly over north and east London
- 3 Girl, 17, held on suspicion of terrorism offences after east London arrest
- 4 Police appeal after intruder reportedly enters Barking home and threatens woman with knife
- 5 Travel bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 6 Dagenham and West Ham accused in court after drugs raids
- 7 Cycling festival coming to Barking
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 40 firefighters tackle Anchor Close blaze
- 10 70 firefighters tackle Dagenham house fire
And of course there's also the physical preparation to get her body ship-shape for the big day.
"I joined a running club last year and practice with them, but I've been running a lot on my own as well. I've never done a marathon before, but it's something I've wanted to do for a long time. I'm really excited about it, though I'm nervous too."
If you would like to sponsor Maria call her on 07738160648.