Dagenham woman runs marathon for charity
A WOMAN whose friend lost her three-year-old daughter to leukaemia, is running the London Marathon to raise cash for a cancer charity. Maria Saunderson, of Bentry Road, Dagenham, will take part in the gruelling 26.2 mile run around the capital in April.
A WOMAN whose friend lost her three-year-old daughter to leukaemia, is running the London Marathon to raise cash for a cancer charity.
Maria Saunderson, of Bentry Road, Dagenham, will take part in the gruelling 26.2 mile run around the capital in April.
The 27-year-old nursery nurse is hoping to raise at least �2,000 for Children with Leukaemia, a charity based at Great Ormond Street Hospital in London.
Maria told the POST why running in aid of the organisation was so important to her: "Cancer has affected a lot of people close to me.
You may also want to watch:
"I have a friend whose three-year-old daughter died of leukaemia, I lost both my grandparents to cancer, and my dad had cancer eight years ago. By doing this I really hope I can help raise awareness about the illness."
Through sponsorship from friends and colleagues Maria has raised �500 so far, and is determined to reach her target figure before the race in 11 weeks' time.
- 1 Drivers escape injury in Dagenham crash
- 2 Eid prayer recited outside Barking Town Hall as groups call for more worship spaces
- 3 Man, 20, found stabbed in Barking
- 4 Groomed girl speaks out after 'dangerous' Barking dealer who dealt Class A drugs in East End is jailed
- 5 'Love Island promo' spotted filming in Barking
- 6 Former east London police sergeant sentenced after pleading guilty to harassment
- 7 Antisocial behaviour patrols in Barking and Dagenham
- 8 Teen 'robbed at knifepoint' in Chadwell Heath
- 9 Barking and Dagenham goes two weeks without Covid-19 deaths
- 10 Barking man appears in court charged with mother-of-two's murder
And of course there's also the physical preparation to get her body ship-shape for the big day.
"I joined a running club last year and practice with them, but I've been running a lot on my own as well. I've never done a marathon before, but it's something I've wanted to do for a long time. I'm really excited about it, though I'm nervous too."
If you would like to sponsor Maria call her on 07738160648.