Day of the Doodlebug - Doris Hilliard
A TRUE-TO-LIFE World War Two drama that looks at family life and passionate love in dangerous, heartbreaking times, Day of the Doodlebug holds particular interest for east Londoners. Hitler s latest weapon, the V1, casts a terrifying gloom over the war-we
A TRUE-TO-LIFE World War Two drama that looks at family life and passionate love in dangerous, heartbreaking times, Day of the Doodlebug holds particular interest for east Londoners.
Hitler's latest weapon, the V1, casts a terrifying gloom over the war-weary Mantle family as Ruth Mantle warns daughter Audrey about amorous Americans - and then falls head-over-heels in love with one herself.
Audrey is excited about her forthcoming marriage to Larry, an RAF navigator. She is devastated when he is reported missing.
Problems mount when a neighbour, whose husband is suffering with battle fatigue, secretly admits to Ruth that he is involved with a murder.
You may also want to watch:
Air raids increase with the arrival of Hitler's V2 rockets and Ruth's children are sent to their Uncle Eddy's farm in Devon, at first feeling disorientated and very homesick.
When Ruth's American lover is sent back to the US, she is unable to see him to say goodbye.
- 1 380 homes and commercial space set to be built at Dagenham Dock
- 2 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
- 3 Barking and Dagenham MPs react after 'horrific' stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 4 Chain of 10,000 teddies to be displayed in memory of toddler Ava
- 5 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 6 Dagenham pop-up shop sees young people sell their products and share skills
- 7 Ops planned as Barking and Dagenham marks London Trading Standards Week
- 8 Jailed: Man who crashed stolen van then headbutted police officer
- 9 Thousands of 'illegal cigarettes' seized in Barking and Dagenham raids
- 10 Becontree business celebrates 10 years of helping parties go with a swing
A year later when the war ends, Ruth's husband, Will, dies of a heart attack.
Twenty years go by and Ruth remains a widow. Then Audrey persuades her to go to a local reunion of American airmen...
Redbridge and Newham were badly hit by Hitler's rockets and Doris Hilliard's story (�8.99, Vanguard) will bring back memories for those who lived through those times and gives those of us who didn't, an insight into what daily life was like.