Deadly Doherty on form
UNBEATEN West Ham BC prospect Douglas Doherty played his part in the club s successes at the London Schoolboys Finals held at York Hall, Bethnal Green on Sunday. Doherty faced Michael Roberts of Earlsfield in the Class Three under-57kg final and gave a p
UNBEATEN West Ham BC prospect Douglas Doherty played his part in the club's successes at the London Schoolboys' Finals held at York Hall, Bethnal Green on Sunday.
Doherty faced Michael Roberts of Earlsfield in the Class Three under-57kg final and gave a polished performance to take victory and book his place in the quarter-finals.
Reigning champion Joe Tokeley came through in style against Martin Ward of Hooks Gym in the Class Three under-40kg final.
Tokeley kept his composure, measuring his attacks to land crisp, straight shots against his opponent, taking the unanimous verdict and his place in the quarter-finals.
Hammers' Patrick Ellis was drawn against Joey Pearson of Lynn BC in his Class Two under-40kg semi-final.
Classy Ellis never allowed his opponent to set himself, and booked his place in the London Finals on Saturday, at the Five Star BC Harold Hill.
- 1 Illegal Dagenham puppy farm owners sentenced
- 2 Dagenham fire families receive thousands in donated cash
- 3 Item thrown from A13 bridge smashes windscreen and injures driver
- 4 'An incredible privilege’: Dagenham and Rainham MP Jon Cruddas on 21 years of service
- 5 Liz Truss visits Dagenham youth centre on Tory leadership campaign trail
- 6 Hammers stars surprise hospital patients and staff
- 7 Biggest 'shooting star' meteor shower to peak this week
- 8 ‘It’s like a warzone’: Extent of damage to Ballards Road homes on show following blaze which destroyed 14 houses
- 9 West Ham 'couldn't get near' City says Moyes
- 10 'Affordable' Dagenham housing scheme completed
Billy Andrews was drawn against Taylor Sharp of Bodyshots in his Class One under-38kg final. Having boxed twice before with one win each, both boys were fired up for victory,
Andrews worked well behind his jab, but the bout turned scrappy and a public warning in the last for the Bodyshots hope confirmed the West Ham boxer's victory and his place in the London Final.
Hammers' brave Billy Hodder was pitted against John Newham of Westside in his Class One under-42kg final.
In a very tight bout. both boys showed great commitment throughout, but Newham got the decision from the judges on a majority verdict.