Deadly Doherty on form
UNBEATEN West Ham BC prospect Douglas Doherty played his part in the club s successes at the London Schoolboys Finals held at York Hall, Bethnal Green on Sunday. Doherty faced Michael Roberts of Earlsfield in the Class Three under-57kg final and gave a p
UNBEATEN West Ham BC prospect Douglas Doherty played his part in the club's successes at the London Schoolboys' Finals held at York Hall, Bethnal Green on Sunday.
Doherty faced Michael Roberts of Earlsfield in the Class Three under-57kg final and gave a polished performance to take victory and book his place in the quarter-finals.
Reigning champion Joe Tokeley came through in style against Martin Ward of Hooks Gym in the Class Three under-40kg final.
Tokeley kept his composure, measuring his attacks to land crisp, straight shots against his opponent, taking the unanimous verdict and his place in the quarter-finals.
You may also want to watch:
Hammers' Patrick Ellis was drawn against Joey Pearson of Lynn BC in his Class Two under-40kg semi-final.
Classy Ellis never allowed his opponent to set himself, and booked his place in the London Finals on Saturday, at the Five Star BC Harold Hill.
- 1 How Dagenham are you? Take our quiz to find out.
- 2 Youngsters create film inspired by Dagenham's links to slave trade abolitionists
- 3 Three shops 'fail test purchases' after joining safe knife selling scheme
- 4 'Stunning mural celebrating Barking history is complete
- 5 Ex-Strictly Come Dancing star gets pupils shimmying in Barking
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Residents and traders react to proposed A13 tunnel in Dagenham
- 8 Dagenham on the way back up after FA Cup comeback
- 9 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 10 Men reportedly 'impersonated officers' to get access to Barking home
Billy Andrews was drawn against Taylor Sharp of Bodyshots in his Class One under-38kg final. Having boxed twice before with one win each, both boys were fired up for victory,
Andrews worked well behind his jab, but the bout turned scrappy and a public warning in the last for the Bodyshots hope confirmed the West Ham boxer's victory and his place in the London Final.
Hammers' brave Billy Hodder was pitted against John Newham of Westside in his Class One under-42kg final.
In a very tight bout. both boys showed great commitment throughout, but Newham got the decision from the judges on a majority verdict.