Deal or no deal for Neill?
LUCAS NEILL could spend a substantial period on the sidelines with his protracted talks with Atletico Madrid on the verge of collapse. The former West Ham United captain has been without a club since the summer after walking away from his �70k per week co
LUCAS NEILL could spend a substantial period on the sidelines with his protracted talks with Atletico Madrid on the verge of collapse.
The former West Ham United captain has been without a club since the summer after walking away from his �70k per week contract at Upton Park.
West Ham offered Neill a two-year extension on reduced terms, which the 31-year-old rejected out of hand.
But after struggling to find another club, the Australian had a change of heart and offered to come back to his former employers, who promptly told him that a deal could not and would not be done.
Neill has since endured further frustration with Atletico, who could not offer the defender an acceptable package.
The defender snubbed a big move to Liverpool in favour of West Ham in 2007 because of the better weekly wage offer that the then struggling Hammers made.
- 1 Man in 50s in hospital after Dagenham stabbing
- 2 Barking and Dagenham A Level results 2022: Live updates for borough's schools
- 3 Murder charge after man, 60, found fatally injured in Dagenham
- 4 Local 18-year-old filmmaker gears up for ‘ambitious’ first feature-length film
- 5 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 6 London Assembly: TfL urged to rethink plans to cut 78 bus routes
- 7 Bleed kit in memory of doorman Ricky Hayden installed outside nightclub
- 8 Gun shots fired in Dagenham
- 9 Summer of Festivals Weekender draws thousands to Parsloes Park
- 10 Illegal Dagenham puppy farm owners sentenced
And it is believed he has now turned his back on moves to Sunderland or back to West Ham, because the new 50 per cent rate of tax for big earners is set to kick-in in England.
n West Ham's home fixtures
with Fulham on October 3 and Everton on November 7 have been moved back 24 hours due to
their opponents' Europa League matches.
Both games will kick off at 3pm, but neither will be televised.